Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #61  
Highbeam said:
Really though in the NW it is pretty much 50/50 husky/stihl. There are lots of of old loggers that only use the huskys. I lean towards the stihl. It is a fiord chevy type debate with each brand making some good saws.

If resale matters to you, it is easier to sell a stihl than a husky.

I agree Highbeam. It is a Ford/Chevy type debate. My dad taught me the ropes when I was a teen on a S-Dolmar and then I went and worked for an operation that used nothing but Stihl. Loved em! And then my father in law died and I inherited his small (and old) Husky rancher. It ran like a top and still does 10 years later. I was in a pawn shop years back (late 90s) and picked up a Husky 262XP for $75 and heavily used. Wow. Let me tell you, the 262XP blows my mind. I cut 6-10 cord/year and that saw has become my saw of choice with my backup being a 1980s vintage Stihl 028AV Super with a scored piston. Other than starting hard, cold, I couldn't be happier with the 028AV and someday I'll rebuild it. Which gets me to the reason I'm in this thread in the first place: I was in a pawn shop today nosing around when a guy, down on his luck, came in lugging a Husky 455 Rancher for pawn and the guy behind the counter said he couldn't do anything with it because it was missing the chain. I followed the guy out and long story short, after a visit to an ATM, I got a brand new 455 for $150. Not bad for a new back up saw, but my girl is very unimpressed...Hey, four saws are better than one, right?
As for the debate of Husky vs. Stihl, I'd say research the one that fits your needs and go for it, or hang out at pawn shops...

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #62  
Funny to hear that....... i bought my Husky 346XP at the local pawn shop for $140. What a great little saw...... it really screams! Now if i could only find a 395XP at the pawn shop i'll be all set.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #63  
Have a Husqvarna----20 pulls or more everytime on initial startup. Once it gets warm and I shut it off for a minute or two it only takes one pull. Had it to the local shop and they went over it but could find nothing wrong. Other then that I like it.:rolleyes:

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #64  
My vote goes to Stihl.

I've never had a Husqvarna and have never heard anything bad about them, but I don't like the fact that they sell them in box stores. That's just me.

I have a Stihl farm boss chain saw, a string/blade trimmer and backpack blower and not once has any of the Stihl products let me down, even after sitting in the garage for a winter (only four years now). I'm sincerely impressed with their product line, plus the fact that usually distributors of the Stihl product are usually well stocked for any parts that you may need, plus if service is needed, they (people who carry the Stihl product) KNOW their product line service wise.

That said, when I spent some time out west, the popular saw I came across was the Jergeson (sp?) which I had never heard of before.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #65  
Sigarms said:
My vote goes to Stihl.

That said, when I spent some time out west, the popular saw I came across was the Jergeson (sp?) which I had never heard of before.

Jurgeson? Or perhaps was it Jonsered?

Jonsered is essentially the same saw as the pro model Husqvarnas, unless I'm mistaken, just a different color...

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #66  
KentT said:
Jurgeson? Or perhaps was it Jonsered?

Jonsered is essentially the same saw as the pro model Husqvarnas, unless I'm mistaken, just a different color...

You got it, Jonsered:)

You mean Husky made that model?

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #67  
Sigarms said:
You got it, Jonsered:)

You mean Husky made that model?
It may depend upon the specific model -- but I know some Jonsered and Husqy chainsaws are the same... Husqy owns Jonsered, in addition to Poulan.