Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
I have read through countless saw threads and I've narrowed it down to a few models that my local dealer has:

Husky 350 - $340
Husky 455 - $395
Echo c520 - $390

I'm leaning a little towards the Echo because of the 5yr warranty but I'm going to check them all out.

I'm undecided on an 18 or 20" bar. It would be used to cut about 8 - 10 pick up loads of firewood per year. I don't plan on cutting really big stuff, but there may be a situation when I would need to. Not sure if I should go with the little extra weight and power of the 455 just to have in case I need it. The Husky 350 and Echo are about the same power wise.

I'll admit I am thinking Orange to match my tractor as well. I have found a guy selling the 455 NIB for $305 shipped + tax on Ebay.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #2  
I was looking at the Husky 455 a couple years ago in the Northern catalog. I went to my local dealer, he sold me a 460 for the same price Northern wanted for the 455. I didn't know they made the 460, it has a little more hp in the same size saw. It came with a 20" bar, but he put the 18" on it for me. I couldn't be any happier with this saw. I cut about 10 cords of firewood a year.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #3  
I ha a 455 and it is a good saw. I have the 20" bar and when I first started using it I felt it was a bit heavy, but after a few hours with the saw I have long forgotten how heavy it is. I like the decompression valve setup on the 455 as it makes it very easy to start.

The chain adjustment is nice feature and makes tightening the chain really easy and quick.

You might find an 18 inch bar is all you really need. I do cut some larger trees so the extra length works for me. At the time I bought my saw the dealer did not have a 450 in stock so I just couldn't wait for it to come in.

I have also owned an echo a smaller model and I used it for a number of years. I finally put it aside as the person I purchased it from cosed his business and there just wasn't anyone local that was handling them.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #4  
I sure you would be happy with any of the saws you have listed. I would like to suggest the Dolmar 5100 as you can buy this pro grade saw with an 18" bar for under $400. This saw is widely considered the best 50cc saw on the market today and will cut rings around the 3 homeowner saws you listed above and will outlast them all. If I had to choose between those three saws I would go with the echo also. Research reviews on the Dolmar go to some woodcutting forums, talk to some tree cutters and find a dealer.
I'm not a Husky basher as I own a 357xp, but their homeowner models are high priced for what they are, in my opinion. good luck with your choice

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.
I just read about the Dolmar 5100 at arboristsite.com. Problem is the nearest dealer is 45 miles away. Boy the Echo's don't get spoken of highly at aboristsite.com. It seems that most on that site are pros and use saws for a living though. They don't even like the 455 over there. I'm starting to think the 455 doesn't offer much more than the 350 really. I may end up with a Husky 350. Still can't decide on the bar length though.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #6  
I have the Husky 350, cut about 4 cords per year, does a great job, not complaints whatsoever. the 18" bar is big enough for most of my tasks but there are times I have wished for bigger, and trust me the next one will be bigger. I picked mine up at Lowe's reconditioned from the factory for $200, I couldn't pass up that deal, it was sent back b/c whoever bought it couldn't start it (my guess is that they forgot to add gas, worked like a charm everytime for me).

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #7  
I bought a Husky 455 a few months ago to replace my Poulan. I heard so much about Huskies I had to try one. Big mistake. It doesn't cut as well as my cheap Poulan. I don't like the curved bar on the Husky 455 and the chain design is bad too and you can not find replacement chains that fit other than the original. :(

I wish I had spent a few dollars more and got a professional Husky or a Stihl.

I have cut down and cut up over 600 trees in the last 3 years with Poulans, McCulloughs and this Husky so I do have a little experience with chain saws.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #8  
The only 3 that I have researched enough to buy:

Husky
Stihl
Echo

I got a Husky 455 Rancher. It's heavy, but hey...this ain't a ladies saw. Weighs almost 13 lbs, 3.4hp. Eats oak and hickory for breakfast. If you're in the market for a great saw, the 455 is one. Fortunately, the 455 isn't made by Poulan. However, I can't confirm this online anywhere. Just make sure your Husky has the little metal tag on it that says: Made in Sweden...then you're getting what you are paying for.

I love Echo's too. The Japs make great equipment. I don't have an Echo chainsaw, but do have a backpack blower and weed whacker from them...both are worth every penny.

Of course, Stihl is a great saw too.

Good luck in your choice.

Podunk

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #9  
I LOVE my Stihl saw, can't say enough good things about it, or the local Stihl shop.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #10  
...AAAAGH...Don't start that....
#1 Stihl 026 or MS 260 +
#2 Husky 55/455 or pro saws
#3 Echo (If there has to be a #3)

Best selling saws worldwide.....Stihl 260,036,044....YadaYadaYada and Husky 55,357,359,and up..?

I have 2 J-reds,3 stihls,1 JD,2 Huskys,1 echo,1 "poo-lan",1 "****-lite,"

Stick with the pro models ,Avoid all the "Elasto-crap" and other gimicks like "easy to break" chain tensioners and stay with the "2" ,Stihl and Husky...?.

I cannot stress how much trouble the Jonsereds have been....?