Chainsaw drive sprocket wear/replacement

/ Chainsaw drive sprocket wear/replacement #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi all,

I know that there's several real chainsaw experts on this forum, so hopefully it's a good place to ask:

How much wear is acceptable on a chainsaw drive sprocket before it should be replaced?

Mine has very slight, polished indentations (maybe a few thousandths) on the drive face of the teeth, and similar wear on the "top" of each tooth. I've seen recommendations (Oregon) to replace the sprocket every second chain, but this seems excessive and unnecessary unless there's significant wear. Your thoughts?

- Jay

/ Chainsaw drive sprocket wear/replacement #2  
I have always just used them until they were worn out. When they wear through and start to slip its time for a new one.
On a side note I had one saw that went through bars and sprocket much too often. I had to replace the oil pump assy. in that one. Wasn't putting out enough oil.

/ Chainsaw drive sprocket wear/replacement #3  
For any homeowner use it's unlikely you will ever need to replace it.

/ Chainsaw drive sprocket wear/replacement #4  
JRobyn said:
Hi all,

I know that there's several real chainsaw experts on this forum, so hopefully it's a good place to ask:

How much wear is acceptable on a chainsaw drive sprocket before it should be replaced?

Mine has very slight, polished indentations (maybe a few thousandths) on the drive face of the teeth, and similar wear on the "top" of each tooth. I've seen recommendations (Oregon) to replace the sprocket every second chain, but this seems excessive and unnecessary unless there's significant wear. Your thoughts?

- Jay

I agree with Bud, I use ours commerically, when the sprocket starts slipping, I have it replaced. On most saws, you need a special tool to replace it.
Just run it, when it gives you trouble, take it somewhere and get it checked out.
Good Luck

/ Chainsaw drive sprocket wear/replacement #5  
I agree with Willis,and we are in the property maintaince business,our saws are used and abused ,I can't recall replacing a drive sprocket in the past 5 years.