Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #41  
The sprocket turns the same speed whether there is a 2" or 20" bar so the chain speed should stay constant, that is in feet per minute which would dictate cutting speed.

Yes, that is correct, other than IF the longer bar doing more work was
slowing the engine down. Some slowing of the engine occurs doing maximum
work before you are truly bogging the engine down.

Has anyone with this saw used Husky's "special grease gun" to lubricate the
the bar tip sprocket?

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #42  
Has anyone with this saw used Husky's "special grease gun" to lubricate the
the bar tip sprocket?

I don't have Husky's special grease gun, but on my 460 I use a needle tip on my grease gun.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #43  
I'm confused about something. I'm not being a wiseguy here, I guess I just don't get it, but how does a longer bar slow the chain down? The sprocket turns the same speed whether there is a 2" or 20" bar so the chain speed should stay constant, that is in feet per minute which would dictate cutting speed. I realize that a longer bar would mean less revolutions per minute, but that is only because it is going around a longer bar. Since the speed of the sprocket is constant, the speed of the chain should be constant. So the cutting speed should be constant regardless of bar length. Am I missing something?

Longer bar means heavier chain with more distance to travel, hence more power required to turn it.

Refer to your owners manual if this concept eludes you.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #44  
Longer bar means heavier chain with more distance to travel, hence more power required to turn it.

Refer to your owners manual if this concept eludes you.

Very true.:D:D

Now lets talk about how much power is left to do the cutting. Is it not possible that with reduced cutting capability of the chain the power head will not be overloaded?:confused:

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #45  
Very true.:D:D

Now lets talk about how much power is left to do the cutting. Is it not possible that with reduced cutting capability of the chain the power head will not be overloaded?:confused:

Since you are obviously confused I suggest rereading the comments where I explained to you in detail why that assumption is patently false. In fact, I'll repost one for you.

The reduced number of cutting teeth less the number of additional teeth provided by the extra length of the chain on the larger bar would still equate to less cutting surface hence less wood displaced per revolution of the chain. That means more engine revolutions to cut the same piece of wood that could be cut in less time and with less engine revolutions when fitted with the proper sized motor for the bar. More engine revolutions for the same work means reduced engine life for the head fitted with the oversized bar.

Now, let's talk about the failures of the Canadian public school system. :D

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #46  
I'm at a total loss on why I am confused. I understand fully of what is happening as well as how the chain saws operate! :D:D:D

Now, let's talk about the failures of the Canadian public school system.

Are you familiar with the system??:D:D:D

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #47  
I understand fully of what is happening as well as how the chain saws operate! :D:D:D

Apparently not.

Otherwise you'd understand that less wood displaced per revolution means more revolutions to displace the same volume of wood.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #48  
Otherwise you'd understand that less wood displaced per revolution means more revolutions to displace the same volume of wood.

Well of course that is correct. It was never disputed.:D:confused::D

When talking about stuff that turns maybe switch to radians as that is more in keeping with proper nomenclature.:D:D

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #49  
Well of course that is correct. It was never disputed.:D:confused::D

So you're now saying you understand that the engine has to turn more times to cut the same amount of wood, but are not able to relate that fact to engine wear? Prior to attempting to impress me with your command of polysyllabic words or your ability to use smiley faces I'd first try to grasp that rudimentary concept.

I'd start with something more along the lines of the popular childrens book, "The Little Engine that Could". If the little choo choo's engine (in this example with undersized gears) turns more times to get up the same hill that a correctly matched engine for it's gearing system can summit with less engine revolutions then that little engine will wear faster than a properly geared engine that turns less times to make it up the same hill.

And the correctly sized bar for the engine means less revolutions (assuming your reduced number of cutters) of that engine to perform the same workload, hence better performance and longer engine life.

Hope that helps because frankly I can't see how I can simplify it much further for you.

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #50  
Here. With that example in mind, try reading for a third time (or first) this statement.

The reduced number of cutting teeth less the number of additional teeth provided by the extra length of the chain on the larger bar would still equate to less cutting surface hence less wood displaced per revolution of the chain.

That means more engine revolutions to cut the same piece of wood that could be cut in less time and with less engine revolutions when fitted with the proper sized motor for the bar. More engine revolutions for the same work means reduced engine life for the head fitted with the oversized bar.

Hopefully that clears it up.:D