Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #51  
I fully understood it on the first read.:p

Engine wear has not been disputed either.:p

As for trying to impress you why would I do that??:confused:

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #52  
. And yes the cutting time will be longer but using the proper chain there should be no extra load on the engine.:D

At this point I'll just assume your therapist has the situation under control, and give the medication time to work.

Nice chatting with you.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #53  
I'm confused about something. I'm not being a wiseguy here, I guess I just don't get it, but how does a longer bar slow the chain down? The sprocket turns the same speed whether there is a 2" or 20" bar so the chain speed should stay constant, that is in feet per minute which would dictate cutting speed. I realize that a longer bar would mean less revolutions per minute, but that is only because it is going around a longer bar. Since the speed of the sprocket is constant, the speed of the chain should be constant. So the cutting speed should be constant regardless of bar length. Am I missing something?

I think what he meant by slowing the chain down with a longer bar is if you have more teeth making contact on a larger log it will test the HP of the saw because it has more matrial to cut with more teeth biting....

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #54  
At this point I'll just assume your therapist has the situation under control, and give the medication time to work.

Nice chatting with you.

YOU COME ACROSS AS BEING RUDE- AS ONE JUSt reading the thread.
Did you know that Husqvarna sells this saw With a 24 inch bar setup at a MSRP of 439.00.
The 20 inch configuration is most common at 399.00.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #55  
YOU COME ACROSS AS BEING RUDE- AS ONE JUSt reading the thread.
Did you know that Husqvarna sells this saw With a 24 inch bar setup at a MSRP of 439.00.
The 20 inch configuration is most common at 399.00.

And you come across as being ill informed, as one just reading your statements, both as to my supposedly being rude not to mention your information.

As for being rude, I merely cracked a joke to a guy who has been badgering me for two days with happy faces and talking in circles, apparently for his own amusement. I even included a little smiley face since he liked them so much.

As for your information, Husqvarna's website apparently does not agree with you, nor do their manuals and printed documentation.

From their website.

Cutting equipment
Chain pitch .325"
Recommended bar length, min-max 13"-20"

As for your claim that Husqvarna "sells" these, you apparently did not read their website correctly just like the comments as they do not recommend or provide the saw with a 24 inch bar. In fact, had you examined their website carefully you'd see Husqvarna doesn't sell anything, but only sell to the public through their approved dealers.

So as I said earlier most dealers will sell you anything and while I am sure you can put a 24 inch bar on this model, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Other than to save money in the short term. I'm not sure what the confusion is about that, but I'm simply providing correct information. I'm sorry if that troubles you. But as I said earlier had you read my posts, I will contact Husqvarna and see what they say about placing a 24 inch bar on the 455 Rancher. I am fairly confident however that they will advise against it and warn of reduced engine life and increased chance of kickback. Just as I've been stating in here all along. But I will at least call them and find out.

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #56  
[/Please remember the suggestions for a longer bar are not for mainline use. Only for those times when a little extra length can be utilized. The Long bar does not always have to stay attached to the saw. Maybe it can be used only when required.:DQUOTE]

Maybe this comment was missed? It would seem to indicate that a longer than normal bar would be used for the odd cut where the bar length is desired.

Power head wear has never been questioned and overall cost comparisons of buying a larger power head vs wear factor costs for a few cuts should be considered.
Chain speed is a variable. It should remain constant at a set point determined by tuning as long as the maximum power requirement of the engine is not exceeded.

The power requirement demanded by the chain has many variables. These can be adjusted to kept the power demand within the power band of the power head. Being older I could even refer to Slugs in reference to the power demand.

So why should I be taking medications Waynebro? Are you qualified to evaluate and dispense medications or are you working on a "Sir Yes Sir" type type format? Cause if you are it will not work. Saluting has never been an ambition in my life.

I also believe the Canadian school system is working quite well. It should be right on Parr with other G8 nations.

Note: no smiley's!

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #57  
Just wanted to make a couple of points. Husky saws have a small mount system and a large mount system. The 455 uses the small mount system. That means any bar designed for that small mount system will fit on a saw head that takes that same kind of bar, even if its not designed to take that size of bar. You can put a totally inappropriate bar on a chainsaw. (most saw makes only have one or two mounting sizes so they don't have to make so many types of bars.)

Heat is one of the big issues when working a saw to hard. Most of the heat is removed from the engine by fuel. I am trying to remember, but I believe that only 1/3 of the heat from the saw is removed from the air going over it, the rest is the cool shot of fuel going into the motor.

When you put too long of a bar on a saw you risk two things. Over heating the motor and destroying the centrifugal clutch because it wasn't designed for the load.

With too long of a bar you are not going to be happy with the performance and it will probably bog a lot and you will have to really ease it into a cut. You might be ok doing it, but you might also toast your saw.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #58  
When you put too long of a bar on a saw you risk two things. Over heating the motor and destroying the centrifugal clutch because it wasn't designed for the load.

With too long of a bar you are not going to be happy with the performance and it will probably bog a lot and you will have to really ease it into a cut. You might be ok doing it, but you might also toast your saw.

All very true but can one not limit the power demands of a longer bar to stay within the power head output range?

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #59  
So why should I be taking medications Waynebro? Are you qualified to evaluate and dispense medications or are you working on a "Sir Yes Sir" type type format? Cause if you are it will not work. Saluting has never been an ambition in my life.

I also believe the Canadian school system is working quite well. It should be right on Parr with other G8 nations.

Note: no smiley's!

If you can't take a joke then I'd continue your decision to withold the perpetual use of smiley faces. :D

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #60  
Maybe this comment was missed? It would seem to indicate that a longer than normal bar would be used for the odd cut where the bar length is desired.

Power head wear has never been questioned and overall cost comparisons of buying a larger power head vs wear factor costs for a few cuts should be considered.

No it wasn't missed. Which is why I pointed out several times that I am "sure you can do it". And it's why I also repeatedly acknowledged the cost savings (in the short term). If however you're going to be in need of that "odd cut" as you call it, (your description for a cut larger than the bar was intended for) on a regular enough basis to invest in a 24 inch bar but not the properly sized motor for said bar, then of course you could put more wear on your smaller motor and use the larger bar with less cutting teeth. My detraction has never been that you "cannot" do it, but rather why would you, other than a cost savings in the short term. My detraction has always been that the MANUFACTURERS recommendations for the motor are the ones to follow, so if the Manufacturer recommends this bar length for the head, then obviously they've tested it sufficently to ok it while still maintaining their warranty.

Now as promised, (and to put this issue to rest) I did call Husqvarna today, (not a Husqvarna dealer) to get the bottom line on the use of the 24 inch bar with the 55cc 455 Rancher, and you will all be pleased to know (as am I having recently purchased one) that Husqvarna does now offer this model with a 24 inch bar (though they've yet to update their website or printed documentation to refelect this). They recommend the HT280-84 H46-84 bar and chain upgrade or the Oregon 73LP 84 chain and 240RNDK095 bar. Husqvarna did however caution me that this was the longest bar this saw will use so I wouldn't advise going for the 27, lol, but it is definately ok to use the 24 inch bar with this model. So now I'm going to go out and purchase this bar for this motor and give it a try, gladly.

Oh and to DrRick, you were right and I was wrong and I shall henceforth defer to your wisdom on such issues until proven otherwise. :D