Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #71  
Guys, I am for sure not a chain saw expert but my old Husqvarna 272XP feels to be twice the saw when compared to my brand new 455. I don't know if a non-anti kickback chain will help the 455 but I'm about to take it back to Lowes if that's all it'll ever do. I mean it seems that the XP will chew through the wood in half of the time of the 455, plus it doesn't sound as stressed when doing it.

The XP has an Oregon bar and chain on it (20") that appear to be much more substantial than the stock Husqi bar/chain that came on the 455. I really don't want to take this thing back so if you can help me make it a better performer I'll keep it for around the house cutting and use the XP at the property to avoid the back and forth.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #72  
Guys, I am for sure not a chain saw expert but my old Husqvarna 272XP feels to be twice the saw when compared to my brand new 455. I don't know if a non-anti kickback chain will help the 455 but I'm about to take it back to Lowes if that's all it'll ever do. I mean it seems that the XP will chew through the wood in half of the time of the 455, plus it doesn't sound as stressed when doing it.

The XP has an Oregon bar and chain on it (20") that appear to be much more substantial than the stock Husqi bar/chain that came on the 455. I really don't want to take this thing back so if you can help me make it a better performer I'll keep it for around the house cutting and use the XP at the property to avoid the back and forth.

I think you'd find that a more agressive chain, without the aniti-kickback design, would make a significant difference. Relatively inexpensive experiment, but be careful with it, if you try it.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #73  
Guys, I am for sure not a chain saw expert but my old Husqvarna 272XP feels to be twice the saw when compared to my brand new 455.

It doesn't surprise me, the 272 is a 70cc pro saw, the 455 is a 55 CC saw for mid level users. They are not even in the same league. If you want a new saw like your old one you need to get a 372XP or the model replacing it the 575XP.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #74  
Which specific more aggressive chain would you gentlemen recommend?

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #75  
A side by side comparison of the old with the new, and the little Craftsman thrown in there for good measure ;)

IMG_4838.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #77  
This may sound strange but I would go to the local Stihl dealer and ask them for a good aggressive chain. My local Stihl dealer has great chains and they are cheaper than the big box stores on bars and chain:D

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #78  
Just keep in mind for the chain, a 20 inch loop for one saw might not have the same links as the other brand. If you do go into the Stihl dealer, make sure you know the number of drive links along with the pitch and gauge.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #79  
A friend of mine buys chains by the spool so last Saturday he installed a new Cumberland??? chain on my 455. The chain indeed makes a difference,now it cuts as it should have "out the box". Of course this chain is a non anti-kickback but it is the same chain as what he had already installed on my 272XP so I'm used to the way it cuts. These are hard chains so I expect to go through more sharpeners but the performance is unquestionable.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #80  
I have figure out why so many people have problems starting the 455 rancher. YOU cant start the saw in wide open throttle,you have to pull the choke which then sets the throttle at the proper setting, if you place your hand on the throttle and open to full throttle you will then bypass the choke??? why??? The 455 has a special air injection system, when you squeeze the throttle wide open two butterflys will open, one is the choke and the other is the air injection. During start the wide open throttle allows all air to pass thru the air injection and none will flow thru the carb to activate the choke. this is why you must start with choke activated with no throttle. with no throttle the air injection butterfly stays closed allowing air to be drawn thru the carb activating the choke.