Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #1  

johnnydel29

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
I am thinking of buying one strictly for cutting firewood (not felling trees).

Even though it is not a pro saw, I am hoping it has the power and be able to work hard when I use it. I will be cutting a lot of wood, but not everyday (I just had my property logged).

Anyone own one? Likes, dislikes?

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #2  
I don't have the 450, but I have a 350. I wouldn't take $$ for mine.

I try to buy custom made chains though, the boxed ones will do, but they don't seem to hold up like they used to.

I've had about 6 saws and I like Husky 1st then stihl (good) saw.

350 fells trees great, has plenty of power. May be lighter, not sure.

The 455 should be a super saw for you.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #3  
I have an eleven year old Husqvarna Model 55, which I believe is very similar to the model you're looking at. It has been a remarkably reliable companion for those eleven years. It once went for over a year with gas in the tank without starting. It started on the third pull. Of all the two cycle engines that I own (8? 10?) it has been the most reliable and trouble free. I wouldn't hesitate a second to replace it with one just like it...but it looks like I'll never have to.

Most recent major accomplishment...dropped a white oak where the 18" bar just barely made the cut at the maximum diameter. When I cut the stump off at the ground, I had to go at it from both directions. With the bar completely buried in white oak, the motor just kept humming along. If I were dropping trees like that all the time, yes, I would have a bigger saw. But for firewood, clearing, and property maintenance, the 55cc Husky is one fine saw.

EDIT: Western is right. Get Stihl full chisel chain custom linked for your saw at a good saw shop. The ready made chain doesn't measure up. Particularly the Oregon chain and any of them with the anti-kickback device.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #4  
I have both the 455 and the 450. The are very similar. The 455 is a little heavier than the 450. Powerwise you cannot tell the difference between the saws. If you read reviews on the 455, the consistent complaint is the weight.

The 450 has the tooless chain tightner which is a nice feature.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #5  
I have the 455 Rancher dependable saw --I used mine for 6 to 8 hours a day last year --Just make sure you keep to the oil/gas mixture thats with any chain saw.

Plus parts are very easy to replace in my area any way.

check your area for husqvarna or Sthil dealers

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #6  
I bought a 355 because of the weight of the 455. The difference is substantial.

I have an 18" bar and if I can't fell it with that bar I am in way over my head and it is time to call a pro.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #7  
I've had mine for 5 years and it has always been a strong work horse.

I second the recommendation to get a good Stihl chain though. If you want to cut real wood then you need a real (as in dangerous) chain.

Safety/anti-kickback chains are good if you are worried about that stuff though. They just don't cut as fast.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #8  
I use the safety chain, and no complaints, though I do keep them very sharp with the cheap HF sharpener.

I'd rather go a little slower, and not eat the saw. There are times when slower is more dangerous of course, but you should recognize those situations and not get into them.

I think if you are cutting trees you should understand wedges, top roping, barber chairs, etc - its dangerous work. I'm willing to take 1/2 an hour to drop a tree safely if it needs it. If I were earning my living doing it, things would be different.

For bucking, strikes me as no kickback is a no brainer. You are a lot more likely to get kickback bucking up.

As an aside, tree work got me into tractors. Logged an acre of my oak with a pro who had a kubota, and quickly realized that it was just about the most useful tree clearing accessory ever.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #9  
I have always been partial to more of a pro grade saw as opposed to the lower end huskys. But they are all good saws and it's a matter of personal preference. For chainsaws, if there is a dealer in your area, I think i's hard to beat dolmar. For the size you are looking at, the dolmar 5100 would be great. More power than the 455 and 2lbs lighter. I'm not sure what the rancher costs, but last I checked, the dolmars are around $400.

I don't want to start a chainsaw brand war here, they are both fine saws for what they are made for. I cut wood with a lot of guys that use the TSC huskeys and they are good saws. But I don't think they are the best for the money IMO. I have always had good luck with the dolmars. If you have a dealer near by, stop in and ask him to try 5100. He will probabally take you out back and let you get it dirty. I always like to "test drive" anything before I buy.

/ Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw #10  
johnnydel29 said:
I am thinking of buying one strictly for cutting firewood (not felling trees).

I have the Rancher 455, with the 24" bar. Works great. Huge, loud, heavy,
expensive. Too heavy to drag around on my hillsides, so I use my tiny
Makita for that. I would have bought the big Makita DCS54, if I could have
gotten it for the same price as the 455 with 24" bar. I have rented the
big Mak before and it is the nuts.

Interesting posts about the chain. I got the Rancher with two 24" chains
delivered for $342. If a more aggressive chain would make this saw cut
faster, I may look into that. It has enough power, for sure.