Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ?

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #1  

Highgear

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30H 2004
After changing the Trans./Hyd. oil on our CK-30 Hst I now have 7 gallons of nice looking oil . Anyone know if this woud work as Chainsaw bar-oil ? Or any other good use for it ?

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #2  
It will be to light for bar oil

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #3  
Wallace is right. The reason bar oil is so thick is so it will stick to the chain and not be slung off as it is running. Other different motor oils, (used or new), shouldn't be run on a chainsaw bar either, because of this.

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #4  
Yep I agree- good chain oil is very tacky and really doesn't cost that much.
You might save $20 on oil at the expense of a $50 bar and chain.....

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #5  
The commercial bar oil is labeled as 30 weight in my area. The special feature of bar oil is that is is so stringy and sticky. Not the thickness. The hydro oil is only a 20 weight as I recall so it will be thinner and it will lack the sticky additive.

I buy gallons of poulan bar oil from wallys.

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #6  
mix it with your diesel fuel and burn in the tractor at a 5% mix EPA even says it is OK. I normally mix 1.5 gal to 8 .5 gal of diesel and save money I add it to the empty 50 gal fuel tank before I fill it and filter it as I pump it into the tractors.

Jeff

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #7  
We used to mix used hydro oil 50/50 with 30W bar and chain oil in the winter, and and adjusted the oiler to max flow. It worked well in below freezing conditions, but I agree that it would be too light for summer use.
Will

/ Used Hyd. oil good as Chainsaw bar-oil ? #8  
Highgear said:
After changing the Trans./Hyd. oil on our CK-30 Hst I now have 7 gallons of nice looking oil . Anyone know if this woud work as Chainsaw bar-oil ? Or any other good use for it ?

You now have 7 gallons of nice looking, purty waste oil. Treat it as such. The cheap pay twice.