Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once.

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once. #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
My Brother's Father in Law was given a new Craftsman Saw several years ago... used it once with no problems when a tree fell across the driveway.

I was asked to look at it because it won't even try to start... even with a couple of drops of started fluid... it doesn't even try.

So far I put in new fuel and spark plug. The saw looks brand new and I can fee the compression when pulling the starter rope.

The only thing I've noticed is that the spark appears to be very weak with both the old and new plug.

Brother's Mother in Law is the one that asked me to take a look... she's the one that bought it.

Any ideas?

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once. #2  
I wonder if they left the old fuel in when they used it last time and it has since evaporated gumming up the carb. Spark should be OK if it's new, don't think it would be a problem.
I'll wager it's a fuel issue.

John

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once.
I was thinking fuel...

But I would have thought with a few drops of starting fluid and a new plug it would have at least tried to start at least once.

It's got me stumped.

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once. #4  
lately, i'ver worked on several "other" brands (blowes, trimmers, etc)........i cleaned the carbs, the spark looked decent with a new plug, had plenty of compression, used some starting fluid or spray bottle with fuel in it.......NEVER did get them to run.........couldn't even get them to hit...

take the carb aparts, clean it out and blow it out......blow through the fuel lines.......

there's a good thread about a chainsaw not running, here, about 3 weeks ago....

I read that thread. I don't think drssg has had any luck getting it to run...

I've have several ECHO 2-strokes and never ever have had any problems with them...

My little ECHO limb saw is the handiest little saw, always ready to go.

My Tanaka 2-stroke hedge trimmer has also been 100% reliable and powerful.

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once. #6  
Any brand two stroke could or would have problems after setting for "several years" with fuel left in. As mentioned, the carb will need disassembled and cleaned.

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once. #7  
Had to recently remove the carb on a 1 yr old machine and clean it out.3 times before I found two small welch (freeze) plugs inside and removed them.There the problem was, cleaned them out with a real fine wire and it runs like new. Keep in mind that just cleaning it twice the first time with 2+2 didn't do it. I had to remove the plugs on the 3rd try to fix it. Good luck to you.

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once. #8  
ahh ha, find the the two screws that adjust the fuel !:)

Screw them in and out but remember there place.

Keep pulling and adjusting. soon or later there will be some noise and then you are away.:D

/ Chainsaw not Starting... Craftsman 46cc 20" used once. #9  
Ethanol in the gas can ruin rubber parts in the fuel system. If you have had ethanol in the gas in the winter for several years in Olympia like they have had in Portland, it may be time to go into the fuel system--both for ethanol damage and for the thing being gummed up.

I got it running today... well, kind of.

I took it apart and still couldn't find any reason why it wouldn't start.

The saw/mower shop I patronize suggested a few things. They do not/will not work on Hand Held Craftsman gas powered tools... They sell and service Honda, Stihl, Echo and Tanaka products.

The mechanic told me to take out the new plug squirt some oil down the spark plug hole and give it a try. To my surprise, it started... smoked like crazy the first couple of minutes.

It sounded OK and reved OK... but still very tempermental and hard starting.

I also tried the adjusting screws... first I had to remove a bolted on cover and then found the screws are not slotted and are so far recessed to make it just about impossible... I improvised by slipping short pieces of rubber hose over each screw long enough to adjust.

It is going to be an on going problem if it won't start easily.

My ECHO CS-341 limb saw is fantastic... always ready to go without fail...

Maybe I should suggest a new ECHO CS-400 as a replacement?

I'm sure the Stilh MS-260 and MS-361 are more than they would want to spend.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get it running....