stihl chainsaw

/ stihl chainsaw #1  

15acre&mule

I got prices of

MS 290: $389.00
MS 310: $419.00
MS 390: $479.00

Are these good prices or should i look somewhere else?

I'm also interested in the husky brands of similar size.

/ stihl chainsaw #2  
I've got an MS310, and I'd say from memory that price looks like it's in the ballpark. One question, how much use is this saw going to get? Reason I ask is, for a few hundred more you can get an MS260 pro saw that should far outlast the Farm Bosses, but even more important, it's a few pounds lighter. Doesn't seem like a big deal but if you're cutting all day, the weight really makes a difference. If I could go back in time I would have upgraded to the 260. That said, the Farm Boss saws are very nice and I've had no issues with mine.

/ stihl chainsaw #3  
I got prices of

MS 290: $389.00
MS 310: $419.00
MS 390: $479.00

Are these good prices or should i look somewhere else?

I'm also interested in the husky brands of similar size.

I don't know the new stihl models but I just bought a Husky rancher with 18" bar for $379 plus tax. It's a heavy saw compared to my stihl 028 super wood boss.

/ stihl chainsaw #4  
I bought an MS-390 a two or three years ago. If I recall correctly it was about $450. So with the inflation your price is on par I'd say. I went with the 390 because it is the same weight as the others and it has a decompression valve and a little extra power. The fuel tank could be larger but that is no big deal. They are all good saws. Stihl and Husky both.

/ stihl chainsaw #5  
15acre&mule:
The answer pretty much depends on what you are going to use the saw for and how much.

The MS290 (ex-029) is Stihl's best selling saw, ever and is certainly enough saw for cutting firewood on a casual basis, limbing and so forth. If you need to fell a lot of trees and big ones, and/or plan to cut a lot of firewood then the conventional wisdom is go with the MS361. The nearest size Husky to the 361 is the 357XP. A decent alternative to the MS290 is a Husky 350 and Lowe's might still sell them.

If you need to do a lot of limbing in addition to felling and bucking, then the "two saw" plan of one small/light one and one powerful one is a good way to go...but $$$.

Both the MS361 and the 357XP are "pro" saws and will last a long time, the others less long....but may be plenty long enough depending on what you have in mind.

RavensRoost

/ stihl chainsaw #6  
i payed about $450 for my 039.. 12 years ago

/ stihl chainsaw #7  
I have had a 290 for about five years now and it has never had any problems. That price looks Ok but Stihl here often has a deal where you get a case, a carton of oil, hat and spare chain -- don't know about in the U.S but it would be worthwhile to check cause the 290 is often one of the saws in the deal package

/ stihl chainsaw #9  
I agree you should shop for the best deal or even try to get the dealer to throw in some free-bees. I don't think that you can go wrong with any that you mentioned. About 5 years ago I bought the 290 and I see them on ebay used for as much as I paid 5 years ago. From what I've read on the professional arborist sites the MS 361 is the ultimate Stihl saw in that size range.
Good Luck!!!