Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default stihl chainsaw

I got prices of

MS 290: $389.00
    MS 310: $419.00
    MS 390: $479.00

Are these good prices or should i look somewhere else?

I'm also interested in the husky brands of similar size.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 2520

Default Re: stihl chainsaw

I've got an MS310, and I'd say from memory that price looks like it's in the ballpark. One question, how much use is this saw going to get? Reason I ask is, for a few hundred more you can get an MS260 pro saw that should far outlast the Farm Bosses, but even more important, it's a few pounds lighter. Doesn't seem like a big deal but if you're cutting all day, the weight really makes a difference. If I could go back in time I would have upgraded to the 260. That said, the Farm Boss saws are very nice and I've had no issues with mine.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5000

Quote Originally Posted by 15acre&mule View Post
    I got prices of

MS 290: $389.00
    MS 310: $419.00
    MS 390: $479.00

Are these good prices or should i look somewhere else?

I'm also interested in the husky brands of similar size.
    I don't know the new stihl models but I just bought a Husky rancher with 18" bar for $379 plus tax. It's a heavy saw compared to my stihl 028 super wood boss.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I bought an MS-390 a two or three years ago. If I recall correctly it was about $450. So with the inflation your price is on par I'd say. I went with the 390 because it is the same weight as the others and it has a decompression valve and a little extra power. The fuel tank could be larger but that is no big deal. They are all good saws. Stihl and Husky both.
    It's the going that counts not the distance!

Gold Member
    Phoenix AZ and offgrid weekend place south of Prescott
    Tractor
    John Deere 4500 and Mule 3010 (gas)

15acre&mule:
    The answer pretty much depends on what you are going to use the saw for and how much.

The MS290 (ex-029) is Stihl's best selling saw, ever and is certainly enough saw for cutting firewood on a casual basis, limbing and so forth. If you need to fell a lot of trees and big ones, and/or plan to cut a lot of firewood then the conventional wisdom is go with the MS361. The nearest size Husky to the 361 is the 357XP. A decent alternative to the MS290 is a Husky 350 and Lowe's might still sell them.

If you need to do a lot of limbing in addition to felling and bucking, then the "two saw" plan of one small/light one and one powerful one is a good way to go...but $$$.

Both the MS361 and the 357XP are "pro" saws and will last a long time, the others less long....but may be plenty long enough depending on what you have in mind.

RavensRoost

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

i payed about $450 for my 039.. 12 years ago
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

I have had a 290 for about five years now and it has never had any problems. That price looks Ok but Stihl here often has a deal where you get a case, a carton of oil, hat and spare chain -- don't know about in the U.S but it would be worthwhile to check cause the 290 is often one of the saws in the deal package

Tractor
    Kubota B-7500

Husqvarna just introduced their new Rancher 460 and the price is $429. I have the 455 with a 20" bar, nice saw but a bit heavy.

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/files/H...o_consumer.pdf

Tractor
    Kubota M95s, Allis Chalmers 185 & D17 series IV, Kubota ZG-23 Mower, Kawasaki Mule 610

I agree you should shop for the best deal or even try to get the dealer to throw in some free-bees. I don't think that you can go wrong with any that you mentioned. About 5 years ago I bought the 290 and I see them on ebay used for as much as I paid 5 years ago. From what I've read on the professional arborist sites the MS 361 is the ultimate Stihl saw in that size range.
    Good Luck!!!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Boomer2030

You can look on this web page MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS? Chain Saw - STIHL Incorporated USA - Products - Manufacturing the World's Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws and put in your zip code to find pricing in your area.

Solo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast