Stihl Chain Saw

/ Stihl Chain Saw #1  

jbrumberg

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29DA, John Deere D130
I just purchased a brand new Stihl MS 290 "Farm Boss" chain saw. I was cutting some logs and by the time I refilled the fuel mix and bar oil it appears that the oil pump is "blown" and the chain is "burned"
:( and :mad:. The dealership will hear about my "conerns" tomorrow. Has anyone else had this experience? Jay :(

/ Stihl Chain Saw #2  
wow, that surprises me, stihl are usually good saws. Did you get it from a dealer or a store selling saws? Let us know if they stand behind their product.

/ Stihl Chain Saw #3  
Ya that is weird, did it ever "throw off oil" to begin with ?

/ Stihl Chain Saw #4  
I have not had that problem with my MS 250...in fact I haven't had any problems with it. :)

/ Stihl Chain Saw #5  
I purchased the same model, Stihl MS290 "Farm Boss" two years ago and I have not had any problems with mine. I don't use it every day but I have taken down probably a dozen trees with it and I cut up a large pine tree that fell next to my house this past spring. Stihl makes good stuff. The MS 290 is what they consider a midrange saw, not their pro line, but it obviously should last more than a day. I think the Stihl gaurantee is for at least a year so your dealer should take care of you.

/ Stihl Chain Saw #6  
I have the Stihl MS280, it blows through all the chain oil in about 1/2 tank of fuel. If I leave it sitting idling for a minute or two... there is a puddle of oil on the ground ~2 inch in dia. :( Dealer says nothing is wrong so there is nothing they can do to fix it. :mad: I have a Homelite ZIP saw from ~1961 that my grandfather gave me... it cuts better than the Stihl. I wish I had bought a Husqvarna instead.

/ Stihl Chain Saw #7  
All of my Stihl equipment has worked without a hitch.

/ Stihl Chain Saw #8  
The MS290 is a mid range saw and has been Stihls best selling saw for years. This saw has an adjustable oiler, so you may just be able to turn it up to max to get the results that you want. I see no oiling problems with the new saws, but I do start and run every saw that I sell with the bar off so that I can see oil coming out of the oiler hole.

Also, EPA has a lot to do with the newer saws not throwing as much bar oil as the old ones used to. The bar oil output is regulated by engine size now.

I would check that the pump is adjusted to max and carefully run the saw at WOT with the bar an inch away from a cardboard scrap and see if it is slinging an oil line.

Ken

/ Stihl Chain Saw #9  
I have the Stihl MS280, it blows through all the chain oil in about 1/2 tank of fuel. If I leave it sitting idling for a minute or two... there is a puddle of oil on the ground ~2 inch in dia. :( Dealer says nothing is wrong so there is nothing they can do to fix it. :mad: I have a Homelite ZIP saw from ~1961 that my grandfather gave me... it cuts better than the Stihl. I wish I had bought a Husqvarna instead.

I would have another dealer have a look at it. The oiler on that saw is clutch driven so it should not be putting out any oil what the chain isn't moving. If you are running out of bar oil before you run out of fuel, something isn't right as most of the time you will have a half a tank of bar oil left when the saw runs out of fuel.

Yes, I sell Stihl and I may be a little biased, but if you don't like the MS280 I don't think you would like a Husqvarna either. All of their "box store" saws are a single piston ring design with outboard mounted clutch and chain brake and I don't care for them much at all.

Ken

/ Stihl Chain Saw #10  
I would have another dealer have a look at it. The oiler on that saw is clutch driven so it should not be putting out any oil what the chain isn't moving. If you are running out of bar oil before you run out of fuel, something isn't right as most of the time you will have a half a tank of bar oil left when the saw runs out of fuel.

Yes, I sell Stihl and I may be a little biased, but if you don't like the MS280 I don't think you would like a Husqvarna either. All of their "box store" saws are a single piston ring design with outboard mounted clutch and chain brake and I don't care for them much at all.

Ken
Thanks for the heads up on the Stihl, I will find a different dealer. Like I said.. at idle, chain not moving... it has oil running out. If I was to go Husky... it would not be from a "box store". I have always heard excellent reports on the Stihl saws... but all the loggers/cord wood cutters I know have gone to the Husky's.