Chainsaw safety rant

/ Chainsaw safety rant #1  

montanaman

Gold Member
Tractor
Tooo many to list!!
Well I'm not one to preach, but I have been a Stihl dealer for a while now and was just going over what I need to put on order. Stihl has a nice DVD that I sell for $5 and I think in the last few years, I have only sold 3!! One was to a commercial tree service that wanted their workers to watch it so it would qualify as training to help with the insurance company.

Let me just say that if you don't have a lot of experience with a chainsaw, it does NOT make you less of a man, or woman, to admit it and spend a few bucks to get a little education that could make owning and using a chainsaw much safer and more rewarding.

I just about quit telling customers about the DVD because they either think I'm trying to rob them of a whole $5, or they feel insulted.

There are tons of things covered about caring for your saw, maintaining your saw, chain filing, bucking and felling techniques, and a lot of safety stuff too.

What has really got me thinking about this DVD is that we had a serious wind storm here a few weeks back. I sold a lot of saws and because I am not a box store, I actually get to know my customers. I sold more than a few saws to folks that really hadn't used a chainsaw before. I had a lot of phone calls about saws that wouldn't start and about chains that wouldn't turn, etc. It really shocks me how few people will take even a few minutes to read the manual that comes with a saw! Had a customer bad mouthing me and bad mouthing Stihl and after listening to his rant and suggesting that he take off the chain brake, all was well again.....

So if you aren't a seasoned PRO with a chainsaw and you want to get the most out of your chainsaw and operate it in a safe manner, I'd suggest getting the DVD or at the very least, reading the manual that came with your saw!

Ken

/ Chainsaw safety rant #2  
the ones i really like, as to your example, are the ones that GO OFF about it being everyone else's fault or you're trying to rip them off............never apologize when the truth lands in their lap......

i'm always willing to learn more....

/ Chainsaw safety rant #3  
While I agree that chainsaw safety is important, I don't understand why Sthil wouldn't include that DVD with each new chainsaw? If you're charging $5, you most likely paid less, and Sthil had to sell to you at a profit. The per unit cost for each chainsaw had to be $1 or less... I'm not trying to have a go at you. btw, where in butler are you? I need a new chain for my old mcculloch.

I did find this informative link just yesterday over at Jacks http://www.jackssmallengines.com/pdf/chainsaw_cons.pdf

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw safety rant #4  
Montanaman, Why don't you set up a DVD player in your shop & let customers watch for free. The ones that need the info would be more likely to buy. MikeD74T

/ Chainsaw safety rant #5  
You should give to your customers free.

You can watch a lot of the dvd on their website, tell them that.
Stihl charges $25 for a 50 cent plastic chainsaw case, this includes that dvd.

/ Chainsaw safety rant #6  
I absolutely love that new Stihl saw I got! I've been using chainsaws since I was big enough to lift one, LOT's of years. I retired two old Poulans and one new poulan that wasn't worth it's weight in chicken manure when I got this one.

Last week I had my first accident but I got lucky. The chain hit a hidden nail in a log and broke while I was holding it about waist level. Guess where the chain hit me!:eek:

It only tore my pants luckily but could have been much worse! I probably should have replaced that chain after the 4th or 5th sharpening. That probably would have prevented it but it was still good by the wear indicators on it and the amount of stretch. Bad things can happen to anyone so I would recommend that video too. Maybe throw in a few pictures of what can happen if you don't follow the safety rules also. When I was young I knew a guy that lost his left lower leg from a chainsaw.

/ Chainsaw safety rant #7  
I run a Husqvarna chain saw safety video in my store during every hour that we are open. While customers are waiting to talk to one of us about a saw, we suggest that they take a few moments and watch the video. By the time we get to speak to them about a saw a good portion of their questions are answered. This tends to give me a little peace of mind about selling a chain saw to a newbie.

RB

/ Chainsaw safety rant #8  
At one time when I purchased an 027 Super the dealer was required to go over a booklet with all kinds of safety information for liaibility issues.

I recently came across an older video I was given when I purchased a Husky and watched it again. There were some good safety reminders as well as saw maintenance tips.

I think safety clothing and personal protection equipment should be stressed more for chainsaw operators. A good hardhat with hearing protection and at the minimum a pair of chaps to protect the legs should be worn. The weekend warrior may not want to spend an additional $100.00 on safety equipment but it is sure worth every penny.

Randy

/ Chainsaw safety rant #9  
I bought a Chainsaw a few years back to cut some brances. Well, this year I started to get serious about wood for our fireplace insert....went and had a guy drop off some log lengths for me to cut for next season, I told my Wife "if this is what I'm going to be doing for now on, I need Chaps and other safety gear"....it's on my Christmas list....but till then, I'm being as careful as I can and watching what the Logs are doing as I cut (closing up) and being aware of my footing and surroundings.....and once the cut is made, I hit the Kick back Bar to stop the chain till the next cut is lined up.

/ Chainsaw safety rant
Montanaman, Why don't you set up a DVD player in your shop & let customers watch for free. The ones that need the info would be more likely to buy. MikeD74T

I do run the DVD in the shop.