Sthil Chainsaw prices

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #1  

GaryS

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 & LA525
Do Sthil chainsaws ever go on sale? Do dealers discount them? I checked out a few shops but haven't started and negotiations. I got the feeling from the small talk that the MSRP was the one and only price. Is that true?

I just replaced spark, filters, and chain on my 10 yo mcculloch and it ran fine for a while. Now it's getting hard to start and even when it does, it's acting like the clutch is going south... I kinda wish the thing simply blew up. I did this dance, struggling to keep a ryobi trimmer running and spent too much good money keeping that thing running. In the end, the head on the ryobi locked up and it died a quick death.

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #2  
I got about 10% off at the local Stihl dealer by buying a combi motor and several attachments for it all at once, but that was about $900 after the discount.

I bought a Husky saw because I perceived it to be about equal quality to the Stihl and they are frequently discounted. On the Husky, the big box store did not have the lowest price. The local dealer had a special where the saw itself was more than at a big box store, but he threw in a free carrying case and two extra chains, which were extra cost items at the box store.

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #3  
'round here all the Stihl prices are the same, doesn't matter where you go.

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #4  
When I got my 180C the dealer threw in a case and some oil. That may be the best you can do.

Chris

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #5  
When you need repair parts don't expect any deal either. I just replaced the fuel line on my Sthil and it was over $14 for a 6" piece of rubber.

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #6  
Around here I keep getting the feeling they are going to start implementing a cover charge to walk into the stores. Its a privilege to walk into their store and look at their saws.

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #7  
I just bought a MS310. The dealer threw in a case, 3 chains and a 20" bar (it came with an 18") for free.

My understanding is that they aren't really reducing prices but you can get them to threw in some extras to sweeten the deal.

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #8  
While they may be expensive, my dad has a 30-year old Stihl 041AV that runs like a top. What a great machine!
Mike

/ Sthil Chainsaw prices #9  
The MS290 I bought about 4 years ago was on sale and it appeared to be a Stihl promotion not just my dealer. Last year I bought a 180 and I got a free carrying case and some oil for free. They may be high priced but if you look at what used ones are selling for on ebay it's crazy. Almost as much, if not more than a new one some times.