Interesting but boring chainsaw facts

/ Interesting but boring chainsaw facts #1  

Treemonkey1000

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3750
I bought a pair of chainsaw chaps a couple of weeks ago after nearly removing my knee cap with the saw. Loose fitting pants got caught by the tooth bar on the saw. Then the chain caught my coveralls and then pants. Just had a small scrape on the skin right above the knee cap fortunately. 40 years running a chainsaw and only 4 near misses I still am very cautious. Anyhow the chaps had this safety flyer attached. I was surprised that the recorded injuries in 2004 was 32,436 incidents. Who is to say how many were unreported? What I was surprised by was how many hits were the the left side of the body. I am left handed so tend to cut that way. Keep in mind us left handers are a minority.:D

Attachments

• Scan3.jpeg
    Scan3.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 1,546
Last edited:
   / Interesting but boring chainsaw facts #2  
Hey monkey, I am a lefty and find my self wanting to hold the saw "cross handed" which puts the chain in line with my head. Do you saw right handed?
I am trying to but it's not easy...courious as to your grip.

Thanks for posting, my dad recently gave me some chaps, I always wear them...they live under the seat in my truck so they are always handy.

They also work well for picking blackberries!

/ Interesting but boring chainsaw facts
Most of the time I control the throttle with my right hand when I am using a larger saw in the tree or on the ground. For dropping limbs while climbing a tree I tend to use the saw one handed with the left hand. Mainly the way saws are made is why I have to saw that way with the stronger left hand holding the wrap handle for me. I haven't used chaps until now. I do have heavy pair of Carhart pants that I wear for a little extra protection. Then coveralls to let them get grimy and pitch instead of my regular work clothes.

/ Interesting but boring chainsaw facts #4  
I'm expecting Santa to bring me a pair of chaps. My wife freaked when I showed her the rip on the thigh of my pants and the fortunately mild cut underneath.

Was wearing double-front canvas Carharts. Figured that extra layer saved me a bit of skin and blood.

It was late in the day and was tired. Cutting vines and autumn olives that were growing under a mulberry. Slashing away and got a bit careless. Now I take a break when I get tired when using the saw.

Hey Santa is a good person to give you those Tractorbeam. I didn't want to wait for Santa after my near miss. As with you the extra layer of clothe hadn't been there that might have been just that much deeper on my knee. Glad that you came out basically unscathed. Being tired sure doesn't help but when you wanna get er done you just keep going. If you look at that chart most of the hits shown were on the thigh and leg. The left hand took a lot of hits. I wear gloves while sawing as well.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
   / Interesting but boring chainsaw facts #6  
Thanks for the post, pleased to hear you escaped with a relatively minor scrape.
I have chaps SOMEWHERE... I havn't used them in many years, know I should, also know I should use the helmet and face shield, boots too.
Yeah, I'm a bad boy.
Thanks for the reminder, I'll resolve to dust off my safety gear and USE it.

Maybe I'm getting some sense after all these years - FINALLY, but I find posts like this a refreshing change from;
"How can I defeat/cheat the safety feature or interlock on my {whatever} ?"

/ Interesting but boring chainsaw facts #7  
Glad you made it Monkey,saw injuries in a tree can be very bad. I am trying to set up a high angle rescue team that consists of mostly tree climbers. You guys do this every day and are a lot more comfortable up there than us ground dwellers. My climbers are using ballistic pants something like this Sherrill Tree Climbing Supply: Professional Tree Care
lots easier to get around in the tree,ground squirrels still run the chaps.

/ Interesting but boring chainsaw facts #8  
Glad to hear you are not seriously injured.

I think the left side injuries make sense. I am right handed. When using the saw, my left hand is closer to the chain and more likely to be used to adjust the log than my right hand which is on the trigger. Also, I stand left foot forward which puts it closer to the danger as well. Interesting graphic for sure.

Thanks groundcover. Not sure how many tree climbers can set up belay runs for rescue as opposed to Mountain climbers/ice climbers. I had to learn a lot more rope and rescue to climb Mt. Rainier. Cool that you are setting up that kind of team. I have considered volunteering to do some of that. So far all that I have rescued is cats.:cool: (yes I know we don't find any cat skeletons in trees) There is a hang gliding mountain a few miles from my house. A couple of those guys have stuffed it into the trees and had to be rescued.
A few years ago north of me a tree climber had his saw kickback while he was in a tree. It cut his jugular and he died up there in the tree. That would have been a sad recovery rescue job. As an ex fireman and the head Safety person for about 1000 people in my building I have a little experience.
Let me know how your group does please.

/ Interesting but boring chainsaw facts #10  
I think the left side injuries make sense. I am right handed. When using the saw, my left hand is closer to the chain and more likely to be used to adjust the log than my right hand which is on the trigger. Also, I stand left foot forward which puts it closer to the danger as well. Interesting graphic for sure.

Exactly. The upper body contacts were "interesting." :eek: Never see this before.

I don't know were the 32K number comes from but I have seen it used in articles in Small Woodlot and Sawmills magazine.

Knock on wood but kick back has never been a problem for me. Kick DOWN has been. Scares the heck out of me since its so hard to control. Thankfully I don't have to do much cutting that would cause kick down anymore. I do try to watch my foot placement so that if the saw kick down it bites dirt or rock and not my foot.

I have a slight cut in my chaps from where the saw touched my thigh. Left thigh. I have had the chain pulled off the bar twice when cutting limbs that had tension on them. When the limb was cut they moved and just pulled the chain off the bar. The chain was caught by the catchers on the saw but the chain still wacked me in the leg pretty hard. The chaps certainly kept the wack from hurting real bad an likely kept me from getting cut.

I ALWAYS ware gloves, safety glasses, full face shield on the helmet with ear protection and the chaps. All of the safety equipment did not cost more than a $100. I can't walk or be carried into the ER for less than $100. My body parts are worth alot more than $100.

Later,
Dan