/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Whenever there is a chainsaw discussion most folks usually chime in about how great Stihl chainsaws are and I usually point out how great my little 20 year old Homelite is, and how great it starts and all that. I also usually wonder why casual users would spend so much on a Stihl. Well, my little Homelite has finally bitten the dust. Still starts, still runs like a banshee but the chain oiler doesn't work. I've repaired the engine myself numerous times but I can't figure out why the chain won't oil and it gets red hot without the oil. The saw isn't worth paying to repair.

Well, just a few days ago my Dad drops by and gives me his Stihl 025 chainsaw. He can't get it to start right and doesn't want it anymore. Dad has early Alzheimers and that's probably why he can't get it to start and its probably time for him to quit using a chainsaw anyway. He thinks it is broken and can't be fixed.

I got it to start. You just have to follow the start procedure very closely and it is different from other chainsaws I've used. So, I think I've got a perfectly good, lightly used Stihl.

It is heavier than what I'm used to, but it cuts great. In the past I found it to be very easy to flood but I think if the instructions are followed to the letter that won't be a problem. Not sure why the complex start procedure but it seems to work.

It is my understanding that this is a light duty saw for home use. Anyone know anything about the 025 good or bad?

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #2  
I've had my 025 for almost 15 years. I've never had a problem with it. I prefer the 16" bar for this saw. I have a 18" it does alright in soft wood but the 16" is better all around.

Solo

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #3  
I have an 038 and I'm not sure what you mean by the starting procedure. With mine I choke and pull until it runs for a couple of seconds. Then I unchoke and pull until it runs. It takes a few pulls.

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #4  
Im borrowing my dad 031 (mid 70's) saw - he mentioned it being sorta hard to start and at times you had to take the plug out and put a little gas in it.. I replaced the plug with one of those E3 (never needs adjusting, high technology, could be a waste of good money plug) plugs and it starts for me on the 3rd or 4th pull (after following the same procedure randy41 uses)

Brian

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #5  
This is how I start my .025... put on choke, lock trigger on, pull until it sputters. switch off choke and pull until it starts. It may not be safe for beginners as I have the saw in my hands when I pull the rope. as soon as it revs, I take off the trigger lock. you may wish to skip using the trigger for safety.

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #6  
I've got an MS210 for my small stuff. Choke........ three pulls, it will kick once. Choke off...... pull again and she's off. Same exact routine every time. Its been a good saw.

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #7  
I have a 026... sat for 10 years before I used it again... new fuel and 8 pulls and I'm cutting wood again!

mark

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw
The manual says:

Engage chain brake.
Pull trigger and depress the trigger lock.
Set choke to open.
Pull cord until it sputters.
Set choke to closed.
Pull until it fires.
Pull trigger which sets choke to run.
Release chain brake.

My old chainsaw, and others, had only choke on or off and a separate run/stop switch and you'd feather the trigger a little to get it rev'd up and going. No chain brake.

Not sure why we have had trouble flooding it in the past. In any case, no trouble flooding it now. Seems like a great saw. Clearly better than the Homelite.

Now I just need a reason to use the new (to me) saw!

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #9  
Dad has a 025 that he bought new , good little saw I

/ Karma: Got me a Stihl chainsaw #10  
whoops , I use it alot , have wore out several chains . We use only still oil in it