Chainsaw stuff...

/ Chainsaw stuff... #1  

theboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HST
Regular ol' year old Poulan 3516 (35cc, 16" bar).

What you do with old chainsaw chains? I got a couple that I've used to cut stumps as low as possible and around or so of dirt too. Trash?

Bar oil. I usually buy bar oil but wonder if discarded motoroil would work as well. Seems as a teen (a few decades ago) a friend used old motor oil as bar oil.

/ Chainsaw stuff... #2  
Yeah,I try and do that too,will cut some things and will wait till chain is wore out than see how low I can get those stumps,unless it is a big one,you can get them below ground level,or at least even. Sometimes I don't wait,hard on chain and bars and spockets,but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I use echo bar oil,why,beats me,[its red,maybe I like red],what weight is bar oil,20 or 30.

/ Chainsaw stuff... #3  
The chains can be re-sharpened and used again.

Use bar oil. It has additives in it that make it "sticky", so that it will stay on the chain. If you use plain motor oil, the bottom of the bar will never get lubricated, the oil will sling off as it goes over the nose of the bar.

/ Chainsaw stuff... #4  
Well,those chains can only be sharpened so many times,when you get em down to where the file is wider than the tooth,thats what I'm talking about.

/ Chainsaw stuff... #5  
cut alot of wood over the years- In days gone by we never had the extra money to buy bar oil. We did, however, have plenty of used motor oil and used gear oil (from ag machinery). Used to mix them to get a more viscous mix for the chains. These days I can afford the bar oil, but I still mix it 50:50 with used motor oil from my truck to "recycle" it!

/ Chainsaw stuff... #6  
Sometimes an old chain comes in handy for that dirty job that comes along. But, bear in mind that if they are filed and worn to a certain point they would be better off discarded as they could break. And do not ask me what that point is.:confused:

I use the proper chain oil as It appears to do a better job.:confused:

/ Chainsaw stuff... #7  
Old chains for dirty cutting,but when my gut feeling kicks in saying that chain saftey factor I ding the chain...broken chain vs hand not a good sight. :(

/ Chainsaw stuff... #8  
I keep an old chain for setting up my electric sharpener. I noticed this weekend that the fuel tank on my Husquavarna takes 500 ml of fuel. The same size as many soda bottles so rather than take the gas can up to the woods one soda bottle and a full tank will keep me going for a couple hours, by which time I've done enough.

/ Chainsaw stuff... #9  
I was sure everyone would say dont use motor oil (specially used). but I guess its just my experience, when I used motor oil (10w30 i think) in my 026
it foamed up so much you could tell it wasnt doing its job.

As for the chain mine have a little mark to use as a guide when hand sharpening. when im within a little more than 1/16 from it I turf the chain. (into a bin with all the other old rusty blades I could never part with:rolleyes:)

/ Chainsaw stuff... #10  
Depending on the damage, I find I can get some older chains redone as ripping chains for my chainsaw mill because the angle changes so much -- otherwise they become barn wall ornaments when the teeth get too small:eek::eek:. I just buy the gallon jugs of chain oil and never thought about using old oil -- I figure a chainsaw goes through much abuse at the best of times, why not give it good chain and mix oil, premium gas and good sharp chains:eek::eek: