Chainsaw Chaps do their job

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #1  

40_acre_mule

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I was using the chainsaw to clear along my fence line this morning. Chainsaw was working fine. I stopped the saw several times to replace staples in the barbed wire.
Well, this time, I fire up the saw to lop off a branch growing through from the other side. I reach over the fence, cut the branch, let go of the chainsaw with the trigger hand (right) and swing the saw back over with the left hand. Well, the chain didn't stop running, it stayed at about half speed. As I swung it over, the chain caught the top strand of wire and kicked out. As it jumped around, it bumped against the outside of my left thigh. The kevlar strands clogged up the saw in an instant.

Thank you, Tractorbynet. Reading this forum is what made me buy a set of chaps last year.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #2  
Good to hear your stihl in one piece.
Off to the store for another set?

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #3  
Nice to hear that the chaps work and you weren't injured:D

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #4  
Reading this forum is what made me buy a set of chaps last year.

Same for me, although I haven't had as much excitement as you.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #5  
If any of you caught the newest episode of Axemen on Monday March 2 one of those guys tested his chaps out as well. I am wearing mine more often now after nearly removing my knee.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #6  
well, looks like i need a pair....

the bad habbit part is, i'm out mowing on my tractor, think "let's cut this one little branch, oh, i don't need my chaps and they are clear back at the truck anyway....."

vs.

"i'm going to be cutting all day, it's cold anyway, i think i'll wear my chaps..."

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #7  
Believe me I am full of excuses as to not wear them. I have been cutting firewood since I was 10 (40+ years ago)and doing tree work for about 20. I just bought chaps late last year after another "near miss" Just a few scrapes above the knee where the chain tore through coveralls and pants. I would be kicking my own butt for a long time if I did some serious damage to myself and the chaps were 100' away in the truck..

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw Chaps do their job #9  
Im glad you had the chaps on and they did their job.. I know ppl that don't believe in wearing chaps ("never needed them and i have been using a chainsaw for year" sorta ppl) but this just proves you never know what or when something will happen..

I am assuming you are heading off to buy a new set today, arent you?

Brian

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #10  
question on the pants. How do you think they would survive in the nasty brambles of blackberry bushes? The purpose of them, as I see it, is to shred when they are pulled. Brambles hold on sooo tight I wonder if the pants would hold up in my farm environment.