Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #31  
Trivia:

Chainsaw lube is actually automatic transmission fluid.
ergo; new use for used tractor transmission fluid? filtered, naturally!

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #32  
I use a little (don't know the mix ratio) of outboard 2 cycle oil in my diesel fuel for extra fuel pump lube.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #33  
Trivia:

No it isn't.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #34  
As other's have said, chainsaw oil is different than marine. Ive had great luck using the Husky 50:1 with supreme gas only. Ive used cheaper oils and have
had problems with clogging the screen in the muffler.

Also, bar oil isnt ATF. Some use hydraulic oil though , but i dont.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #35  
Trivia:

It isn't even close to being a transmission fluid.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #36  
I think he's talking about the chain saws with automatic transmissions (!).

Mike

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #37  
Chainsaws operate at a higher temperature than do outboard 2-cycle motors. Chainsaws, as well as snowmobiles and jet ski's, require a slight amount of ash is the oil to keep them from burning valves. Outboard motors, 2-cycle, are ashless. Therefore, i would not recommend using your outboard motor oil in your chainsaw. It might result in a shorter chainsaw life.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #38  
Not sure the reason for the ash but I'm confident it isn't to prevent burning valves. 2 strokes have no valves, not in the exhaust path where they could be burnt anyway:D
Some have reed valves in the intake before the crankcase and some have rotary valves but none have exhaust valves in the traditional 4 stroke sense..

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #39  
I used TCW3 oil at 50:1 for quite a while in a variety of Stihl and Husky chainsaws, with no ill effects. Pretty economical at Wally's, compared to the non-TCW3 stuff. ;)

After discovering (I think I asked the question at this forum) that it was intended for water-cooled 2-strokes, I went back to the regular stuff. No harm/no foul... :eek:

From another forum.
TCW-3 is designed for use in water cooled 2 cycle motors in which the ring temps don't rise above 300 degrees F. Air cooled motors don't have the constant temp control of the water cooled motors so , on a 95 degree summer day, a lot of stress is put on the performance of the lubricant. High performance 2-cycles like chain saws really push the limits of lubrication.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #40  
Used some "bargain" Walmart TCW3 outboard oil in chain saws and snowmobiles, gave some to neighbor for his snowmobile. Screwed everything up, never knew why until this forum. That was 15 yrs ago!

Mike