Chain Saw Sharpening

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #1  

GBeck

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
Anyone have any experience with one of those automatic electric chainsaw sharpening grinders? I would just be using to maintain a couple chains for personal use as I heat the house with firewood

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #2  
Ive used this for years
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Not too bad a job a bit flimsy but....
Then I saw my buddy has this one
Northern Industrial Bench or Wall-Mount Saw Chain Sharpener | Chain Saw Sharpeners, Maintenance + Repair | Northern Tool + Equipment

both will do the job, but id spend the extra and get the northern one if I were to do it again.
However I broke a wheel changing the grinding wheel and harbor freight replaced it Free of charge, I do like their return policy

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #4  
I have filed my chains for many years but recently bought the Horrible Frieght chain grinder for about $30. That is probably one of the best thirty bucks I have spent in a while. Like was said above it is a bit flimsy, but for an occassional home use it is just fine. When it wears out I will get a more robust model but this is worth the money in the mean time.

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #5  
I use the Dremel attachment too. Makes quick work for sharping a chain. Thought about buying a cordless Dremel just for this. Using a file is just to much work.

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #6  
I still use a plain old hand file. Quick, don't have to take the chain off either. I can gte around my little 16" in 5-10 minutes. I figure with these cheap chains these days you might only get 1 or 2 sharpens before you get into the soft non treated steel. Ahh but I don't use mine that much either.

Rob

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #7  
+1 for Horror fright sharpener, works great. You can get one in better quality from Baileys or just buy from them replacement wheel for the HF grinder, either way, it is probably the best way to sharpen chains.

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #8  
I bought the $100 sharpener from Baileys - probably similar to Northern's. The advantage for me is that it keeps the cutting angle and depth the same every time. I've had it for a couple of years and works like a champ. But yes, you do need to take the chain off of the saw.
Mike

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #9  
I use a Dremel attachment. It seems to work well.

I want to start sharpening my own chains...do you need to take the chain off to use the Dremel attachment? I have one of those (Dremel) already so that might be the ticket for me also.

/ Chain Saw Sharpening #10  
my guess the dremel you don't have to remove but removal to me is easy and preferred you can remember to blow out the sawdust and make sure the oil slot is clear and get it the right tightness.