Chainsaw advice

/ Chainsaw advice #12  
I was deciding between MS-270 and MS-290. My dealer steered me the opposite way towards the MS-290, saying it was built a little tougher at the sacrifice of weight and vibration. Traits which were more important to me.

/ Chainsaw advice #13  
All I can tell you get a Stihl ! I have a 041 Farm Boss that I bought new in 1979, I also purchased a Home lite too.The Home Lite is long gone but the Stihl is still running just fine. I used it hard in the 80's and 90's when I was into cutting wood and heating the home. The last few years I just use it once or twice a year to cut low branches that seem to find my head when mowing.But-------- It never fails to start, even when It sits in the root cellar for one year. Now how much better could you ask for?
DevilDog

/ Chainsaw advice #14  
I was deciding between MS-270 and MS-290. My dealer steered me the opposite way towards the MS-290, saying it was built a little tougher at the sacrifice of weight and vibration. Traits which were more important to me.

Weight and vibration was two reasons I bought the MS270. To me it's large enough to do the job without the weight. I like it. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

/ Chainsaw advice #15  
I have 290(current Farm Boss), it is a great saw. It is about 4 years old now and been used not for cutting firewood, but clearing and fencing work. I replaced the air filter, spark plug, bar, and chain this month. That is the only service the saw has had yet.

/ Chainsaw advice #16  
for Stihl, my preference is for even numbered models: 180, 260, etc...
also if you're not familiar with chainsaws, never use ethanol/gas in them - the ethanol causes the 2 cycle oil to separate out and you'll score a cylinder, which is not a warranty repair.

How do you do that? There is NO gas available that does not have up to 10% ethanol.

/ Chainsaw advice #17  
Guess I'm the odd man out.

I've got an old 46cc 20" Poulan that I've had for longer than I can remember and have cut more wood than you can shake a stick at and it only cost me $179 brand spankin' new. I ALWAYS use fuel stabilizer in the gas mix and it never fails to crank no matter how long it's been sitting. If I keep the chain sharp it'll throw chaff the size of my thumb nail.

Whatever you get make sure you get one with a system that fully isolates the engine from the handle bars to eliminate vibration and "dead hands"...... and ALWAYS use fuel stabilizer or a two cycle oil that has stabilizer in it.

/ Chainsaw advice #18  
Under 50cc - Shindaiwa

50 to 70cc- Husqvarna(Jonsered) or Stihl....but only the PRO models

over 70cc- Shindaiwa

/ Chainsaw advice #19  
We have a Husky 55 Rancher, can't say a bad thing about it. Would buy another in a second.

/ Chainsaw advice #20  
I have had the MS290 for four or five years -- 18" bar --- starts, runs, cuts.All weather -- might be a bit heavy after a day of cutting but most times I like the weight. The 260 is a nice saw as well. Not too long ago this very topic was discussed in the lawn and garden forum. As I remember it the 290 was purchased in the end
regards