Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #1  

photogman

I'm going to buy a Stihl chain saw this weekend because I have a full service Stihl dealer in my city. I had thought about a Husky, but no Husky dealers close and everything I have read says a good dependable dealer is most important if you are choosing between those two brands. I was considering the following saw: MS 361

Does anybody know anything about this particular saw or do you have another recommendation possibly?

I have 16 acres of land with about 5 acres of trees I am looking to clear, mostly with a bobcat/shear, but will cut up a bunch for firewood. Thanks for your help!

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #2  
The MS361 is one great saw. It has a great reputation amongst the professionals. I run one (along with a 310 and 210) cutting wood for myself and sell a few cords a year. The 361 is a professional grade saw (and the cost reflects that). You can't go wrong with one.

It, like most new Stihls, does need a few tanks of use before it really comes into its own.

Harry K

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #3  
I have an MS250, and I really like it. It is smaller and has more plastic parts than your saw. From what I've read, the professional saws have fuel and oil caps that are less prone to introducing debris and contaminants into those tanks than my smaller saw's caps. I would prefer they were like my old .031 AV.
Butch

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #4  
Great saw I would have got the 361 but because of budget at the time I ended up with a 390{also been a great saw}. I also have a 250 both saw's run awsome use them for firewood and sawmill. One thing I do with all my saw's though is a muffler mod, you can get the info at the forestry forum. It helps the saw run much cooler{longer life} and it will add a little more power. As Turnkey4099 pointed out it takes a couple of tanks of mixed gas before they are up to their full power

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #5  
It is a great saw I have owned it for about 7 months now and it is a beast. My last saw was an ms-250 and it was a great saw but the 361 cut circles around it. I have not yet done the mufler mod but plan to when my warranty is up.

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #6  
Color me blind but I dont find a forestry forum..........could you please paste it here.....thanks.....Dennis

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #8  
thanks Caver,

DennisArrow; it is a good site for just about anything to do with wood.

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #9  
The MS361 is out of production and has been replaced by the 362. Smoother, more power, better air filtration, and meets 2010 EPA specs. There are lots of 361's still in supply but personally I'd spend the extra bucks for the newer technology. I'm sure both are great machines, just something to consider.

/ Need help picking Stihl Chain Saw #10  
Once you clear the land, how much use will you have for the saw? The MS 361 is a lifetime saw for the occasional user as are several other models. If it is within the budget by all means. Two other worthwhile Stihls to consider are the MS260 and The MS290 -- both great saws that are Stihl best sellers and frequently go on sale. In all of these cases you will probably wear out before the saw:eek: -- JMHO