Chainsaw help ...

/ Chainsaw help ... #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I have a Stihl 290 thats has been working well up till today. Started and ran well about 5 minutes into the cutting it bogged down and died, restarted and bogged and died.

I have cleaned the air filter, changed the plug, check the spark arrestor, checked the fuel filter, Emptyed the fuel and refuled with fresh gas and oil ... it will crank and run just acts like its either starving for fuel or flooding out. I am assuming starving, the faster I pump the throttle the better and the plug is dry.

Any ideas??

/ Chainsaw help ... #2  
First guess. Maybe the fuel pump diaphragm in the carb is shot and it is in need of a carb kit?

Second quess would be a split in the fuel line somewhere--might check this first before messing with the carb.

/ Chainsaw help ... #3  
Do some of the Sthil's have the exhaust muffler or spark arrestor carbon up??:D

/ Chainsaw help ...
blueriver,
The same thing happened to My 029. The Stihl Dealer said there was some small holes in the fuel pump diaphragm, He also put a kit in the carb.
mrpoppy

Okay ... I am prolonging getting into the carb, probably need the diaphram.

/ Chainsaw help ...
Do some of the Sthil's have the exhaust muffler or spark arrestor carbon up??:D

Thanks Egon, that baby was surprisingly clean ...

/ Chainsaw help ... #8  
Does it have the "flocked" Air filter.

Change it (about $10)

Went crazy with mine and changed one that looked exactly like the new one and it works great now.

Simple test is just run without airfilter for a minute in a clean area, and see if it straightens up.

They can sure be frustrating when they do not work right.

/ Chainsaw help ... #10  
I would try changing the fuel filter, you can not see the water that gets trapped in it. Water will not let enough fuel through to let it run well or start after a while. Fuel filters are not that expensive.

If that doesn't work check the fuel lines, then the carb.

Randy