CHeap chainsaw?

/ CHeap chainsaw? #91  
I went & took a look at the 22" $199 TSC Poulan Pro saw, 55CC and was a lot more metal in the saw than in the more expensive ones...

Mark

/ CHeap chainsaw? #92  
I went & took a look at the 22" $199 TSC Poulan Pro saw, 55CC and was a lot more metal in the saw than in the more expensive ones...

Mark

Yes. I am very impressed with it. It is similar in construction to the 20+ year old 70cc Craftsman/Poulan that I lost in my barn fire. That was one great (but heavy) saw.

The 55cc saw is much lighter, and would be a great firewood saw with a 16" or 18" bar on it. I need to resist the urge to fill out my collection with it. :eek::eek:

/ CHeap chainsaw? #93  
I didnt mention while I was there a guy, (my age) saw me looking at the chainsaws (I happen to be standing in front of the Orange Huskies at the time) as I didnt see the Poulan at first. He said he bought one (Orange Huskie) last year and it has had to be worked on constantly... plastic bearing inside and on the clutch!? run them hard and the bearing melt and seize up and or out goes the compression. His has had broken leaking fuel and oil tanks on top of the constant issues with bearings seizing up... He asked me why I was looking at the inexpensive Poulan saws, I told him my experience with the 14 & 18" machines and was looking for the 22" I had heard about. (they had the 22'' on the shelf on the bottom pushed in behind all the more expensive saws, cable tied up so you could not even et the thing out to try & lift it up..?? ) Must be low profit on that machine?? :D He said if he had seem the 22" then he would have bought it for sure back then. He said there was hardly any metal in his saw, even under the plastic housing parts it is more plastic.. So I went looking around for tractor chains ect. and didnt see anything I need at the time, on my way out (chainsaws are up front) the guy was over there with them un-locking the 22" Poulan saw ;) ::) Not sure if it went home with ihm or not though...

Mark

/ CHeap chainsaw? #94  
I didnt mention while I was there a guy, (my age) saw me looking at the chainsaws (I happen to be standing in front of the Orange Huskies at the time) as I didnt see the Poulan at first. He said he bought one (Orange Huskie) last year and it has had to be worked on constantly... plastic bearing inside and on the clutch!? run them hard and the bearing melt and seize up and or out goes the compression. His has had broken leaking fuel and oil tanks on top of the constant issues with bearings seizing up... He asked me why I was looking at the inexpensive Poulan saws, I told him my experience with the 14 & 18" machines and was looking for the 22" I had heard about. (they had the 22'' on the shelf on the bottom pushed in behind all the more expensive saws, cable tied up so you could not even et the thing out to try & lift it up..?? ) Must be low profit on that machine?? :D He said if he had seem the 22" then he would have bought it for sure back then. He said there was hardly any metal in his saw, even under the plastic housing parts it is more plastic.. So I went looking around for tractor chains ect. and didnt see anything I need at the time, on my way out (chainsaws are up front) the guy was over there with them un-locking the 22" Poulan saw ;) ::) Not sure if it went home with ihm or not though...

Mark

I bought a 330 a couple weeks ago when they marked them down to $179.
I used it for the first time today to cut down a very hard old tree that had died and has been drying out for the last 3 or 4 years.

It is one incredible saw. I first used my old trusty Poulan 3400 to drop a couple of the larger trunks. Then I brought out the Poulan 3450 to drop the last trunk and buck the logs. I then brought out the 330 to cut the stump where the 3 trunks had joined together.

The 330 cut through the large stump faster than the other saws could cut through a single trunk! I am very impressed with this saw!:thumbsup:

This is a list of the saws that I now own. The 330 is one of my favorites.
Craftsman/Poulan 4200 (melted)/16/24"
Craftsman/Poulan 16/2.2/16"
Craftsman/Poulan 18/2.8/18"
Craftsman/Poulan 16" 3.5 h.p. electric
Echo CS-6700/20"
Mac. 14" electric
Poulan 3450/20"
Poulan Pro 330 22/18"
Poulan Pro P4218AV/18"
Poulan 3314/14/14"
Poulan 3400/16"
Remington 14" electric
Skil 1616/16"
Stihl 360 parts saw
Stihl 360 Pro/20"
Stihl 015L/14"
Stihl 024/18"/325

I am a member of the arborist site also...and have a slight case of CAD

I used the 22 inch bar and chain today. This is what the saw looks like with an 18 and the modified dawgs.

Attachments

• DSC03079.JPG
    DSC03079.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 432
  • 330-3.JPG
    330-3.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 539
   / CHeap chainsaw? #95  
My 372xp fits in the husky box easily with a 20" bar,your dealer should have them,and lowes stocks them here as well.Husky makes a 24" bar sleeve for there box as well,but its separate.I didnt try my big 395xp,but i dont think it will fit in the box,and id need to take the 32" bar off as well.I like using the boxes for transport,it keeps the saws from getting tosses around.

I got a great Craigs list find. I bought a Husky box that a guy got with his saw and had never used it, for $15. My local tractor store had the 24 inch bar sleeve for $4. :cool:

/ CHeap chainsaw? #96  
I too must have the CAD, seeing I own 6 running chainsaws.

I bought a Homelite XL12 about 15 yrs ago used, was a great saw. I had it tuned several times. It finally got to running real rough. Took it and another Super XL12 I had bought on a deal and told the guy to get parts there if needed. He called me and told me the Super was a better saw in good condition, needed coil from old saw. We went with that. I have a bow on that saw.

I have a small Homelite XL that I bought new in the 80's, been a good lil saw. It got hard to start, wouldn't idle. I left it on the shelf, bought a new Poulan as my limbing saw. Biggest POS I ever owned. And I did loan it one time, has never been the same.

I bought a new Homelight small saw in December, the toolless adjusting system. That too is a piece of crap, chain will not stay tightened. It made me appreciate my older saws. So I then started buying old homelites for parts at an auction. Bought a lil Super XL for 15.00. Ended up needing fuel lines on it and a new primer bulb, great running lil saw. 25.00 total investment.

I then got my old Homelite XL out and rebuilt the carb. It too is back to being a great lil saw. I had a repair shop sell me a new bow to go on it for 20.00 and only charged me 18.00 for a new chain to fit it, longer on the bow saw. So now I have a lil bow saw, a big bow saw and 3 limb saws.

So I was back at the auction and bought a Homelite XL12 "BlueBoy". It is painted Blue and made prior to 1970 I later learned. I bought it for parts if ever needed. Paid 5.00 for it. Complete saw but no chain. Looks rough but all there and looked clean in the tank and carb. I got it home and checked it out, had good spark. I shot ether in it and low and behold it started right up. I then put gas in it and it runs great, nothing to do to it but put on a chain which I already had from the other parts saw I bought years ago, had a almost new chain and bar. It needs new paint, but a running XL12 for 5.00.

Still looking for parts saws. Bought 2 and both turned out to be good saws, one only needing gas & chain, the other fuel lines and primer.

I like my older Homelites. They seem to work well for me, easy to work on, parts still available. But I still can't get over the running XL12 for 5.00.

I said earlier I had 6 running chainsaws. I forgot about my Ryobi pole saw and my lil electric pruning saw, that makes 8 running saws. Homeowner use only.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #97  
I too must have the CAD, seeing I own 6 running chainsaws.

I bought a Homelite XL12 about 15 yrs ago used, was a great saw. I had it tuned several times. It finally got to running real rough. Took it and another Super XL12 I had bought on a deal and told the guy to get parts there if needed. He called me and told me the Super was a better saw in good condition, needed coil from old saw. We went with that. I have a bow on that saw.

I have a small Homelite XL that I bought new in the 80's, been a good lil saw. It got hard to start, wouldn't idle. I left it on the shelf, bought a new Poulan as my limbing saw. Biggest POS I ever owned. And I did loan it one time, has never been the same.

I bought a new Homelight small saw in December, the toolless adjusting system. That too is a piece of crap, chain will not stay tightened. It made me appreciate my older saws. So I then started buying old homelites for parts at an auction. Bought a lil Super XL for 15.00. Ended up needing fuel lines on it and a new primer bulb, great running lil saw. 25.00 total investment.

I then got my old Homelite XL out and rebuilt the carb. It too is back to being a great lil saw. I had a repair shop sell me a new bow to go on it for 20.00 and only charged me 18.00 for a new chain to fit it, longer on the bow saw. So now I have a lil bow saw, a big bow saw and 3 limb saws.

So I was back at the auction and bought a Homelite XL12 "BlueBoy". It is painted Blue and made prior to 1970 I later learned. I bought it for parts if ever needed. Paid 5.00 for it. Complete saw but no chain. Looks rough but all there and looked clean in the tank and carb. I got it home and checked it out, had good spark. I shot ether in it and low and behold it started right up. I then put gas in it and it runs great, nothing to do to it but put on a chain which I already had from the other parts saw I bought years ago, had a almost new chain and bar. It needs new paint, but a running XL12 for 5.00.

Still looking for parts saws. Bought 2 and both turned out to be good saws, one only needing gas & chain, the other fuel lines and primer.

I like my older Homelites. They seem to work well for me, easy to work on, parts still available. But I still can't get over the running XL12 for 5.00.

I said earlier I had 6 running chainsaws. I forgot about my Ryobi pole saw and my lil electric pruning saw, that makes 8 running saws. Homeowner use only.

I like the XL 12's but they put my hands to sleep...my old Poulan 4200 was a huge improvement in both cutting speed and vibration isolation.

I just bought Partner P-85, a Homelite 250 (made in USA) and a Homelite XL-2 at a farm equipment auction. They all run and oil great. The Partner is a 85cc's of tree eating machine. The homelites are just nice handling saws with reasonable power. The little XL-2 has 1/4" chain on it!