Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #1  

valley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Michigan 55A, Foton 254
This is the second season for this saw. Can't get it to high revs, bogs down. Cleaned the air filter, have tried to adjust the carb. Looks like its getting more than enough fuel. Haven't gone after the fuel filter.

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #2  
This is the second season for this saw. Can't get it to high revs, bogs down. Cleaned the air filter, have tried to adjust the carb. Looks like its getting more than enough fuel. Haven't gone after the fuel filter.

I know it sounds silly, but is the chain brake off? I went to start my old saw a couple weeks ago and it acted the same way. It started right up and idled but when I gave it gas it died. I did this 3 or 4 times before I figured it out, I had pushed the chain brake handle forward when I picked up the saw.:eek:

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #3  
Who you callin' silly, Steve?:) I've done that more than once myself (course the second time, I figured it out faster).:cool:

Might also look at the spark arrestor screen in the muffler and see if it's plugged.

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help
Sorry just got back to the forum. No! That don't sound silly I've done it.
It was the Spark Arrestor. Thanks for taking the time to post. Richard

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #5  
valley:

It happened to my 345. :(
Here are some do's and don't do's to avoid the screen from plugging again (don't ask me how I know):

Don't use old fuel mix, don't use cheap oil in your mix.
Make sure that when you're in the wood you have the saw at wide open throttle (don't cut at low RPM's).
Make sure your carburetor is adjusted (you may have to remove the limiter caps, if your saw is new).

Good luck, be safe, happy cutting.

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help
I think I will reevaluate what oil I use I had been using Valvoline. Also I do tend at times to cut at less than full RPM.

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #7  
I think I will reevaluate what oil I use I had been using Valvoline. Also I do tend at times to cut at less than full RPM.

I suggest using any of the Stihl or Husqvarna oils, hard to beat. Make sure the mix is not more than 6 weeks or so old and use 91 octane gas if available. (I wonder if the Valvoline oil is even rated for chainsaws, or if it is for outboards?)

Start your cut at full RPM using full throttle and adjust the amount of downward pressure you apply to bar/chain to keep saw in a comfortable and fast cutting RPM range.

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #8  

full throttle, and run supreme gas with husky oil. Yeah its likely more than valvoline but ive never had an issue when running it

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #9  
Chech the filter in the gas tank. If it is good then the diaphrams in the carb need replacing. The adjustment screws are only meant to be turned an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. It is very easy to turn them too much and then run it too rich or to lean.

/ Husqvarna Rancher chainsaw Help #10  
I have a 455 Rancher, and I do my mix a little differently. I also have an old Yamaha Banshee 350 2 stroke sport ATV. I mix AMSOIL Interceptor synthetic oil with 87 Octane at 50:1, and I use it in both the ATV and the saw. The synthetic creates much less smoke, and will never clog an exhaust screen. Saw runs great, as does the ATV. I also use it in my weed wacker.

I would highly recommend AMSOIL Interceptor for those who don't like the smoke. You will see the difference immediately.