chainsaws

/ chainsaws #1  

quackaddict

Silver Member
Snook, Texas by way of the South Carolina Lowcount
Tractor
Kubota B2920
Would there be a big difference in Husqvarna 440 and a Stihl MS 250? I know that the Stihl is a 45cc and the 440 is a 40cc, but how much difference is that going to make in the overall performance of the saw? Mostly used to cut down cedars and mesquites, and cutting up a little bit of firewood here and there. I really don't want to drop 300 bucks on a saw, but they seem to be about the best two saws for what I'm looking for.

/ chainsaws #2  
I have the stihl 250 and it is a great little machine, also have the 310{both run great}. I won't buy husqvarna's smaller saws because they're made cheap{same as most box store saws}. Husqvarna pro series are probably good machines but the smaller home owner saws are made for quinity not quility. Just my 2 cents and opinion

/ chainsaws #3  
I have a Husky and my brother has a Stihl, I have used both and wouldn't be able to pick one over the other. They are not the exact ones you quoted but close.

The only real operating difference I noticed is my brothers Stihl has a simple turn knob for chain tension where my Husky has the 2 tradition nuts and screw slot.

/ chainsaws #4  
Overall performance will be more dependent on your skills to keep them tuned and running well. Either saw will hold up well if treated well. Neither one will cut if the chain isn't kept sharp. :)
My suggestion would be to get the saw that has the best dealership, as you will likely have a need for parts and maybe some tune-up/fixing in the future with either saw you pick.
I favor the Stihl brand, and for sure wouldn't have one with the knob on the side for chain tension. They don't always hold well, and my experience has been that they can slip when least expecting it.

/ chainsaws #5  
I have a friend that cuts and sells about 100 cords of firewood every year. I asked him once if he liked Husqvarna or Stihl better. He said that the Husqvarna saws have a faster blade speed which he likes. He said the Stihl's hold up a little bit better and are easier to work on. He said both were very good saws and wouldn't argue the difference with anyone.

/ chainsaws #6  
I had a Husqvarna 141 that is the previous version of the 440, and I have a Stihl 025 which is the older version of the MS250. The 141 was a good dependable saw, sold it to my brother and he still uses it. I favor Huskys, but of the two you are looking at, I'd have to take the MS250, real close to the weight of the Husky, but more power. The only reason I have the Stihl is because a neighbor backed over it with his tractor then bought a new saw, he gave me the scrap pile and I revived it and it is a good saw still. My main saw is a Hussqvarna 346XP that is just a screaming little animal, run one if you get a chance, fun making the chips fly.

/ chainsaws #7  
I have owned and used both Stihl and Husky saws. Both are great when you move up to the pro models. Whether you get a pro model or home owner's special I would only buy from a dealer that services them. Buying from a box store and needing service in a few years can get frustraiting.

/ chainsaws #9  
For the usage you described in your post, I'd take a hard look at the Stihl MS211. It's a newer model that has been receiving positive reviews and about $250 out the door.

/ chainsaws #10  
Neither saw is a true pro-grade saw. They are both home-owner/budget saws offered by the manufacture at lower prices.

They both weigh about the same but the stihl, being 5cc larger, will have more power. 3.0 HP for the stihl and 2.4 for the husky.

If it is in your budget, and you have a dealer around, check out a dolmar 5100. They are talked highly of on arboristsite.com They are a true pro saw, 51cc and 3.9 HP will cut circles around either you mentioned and they run around $400. They also offer some smaller models in the 40-45cc range that will cost less, but If you have a dealer for them nearby, I reccomend giving them a look. They make a quality saw and usually cost less than comparable stihl and husky models.