Chainsaw help

/ Chainsaw help #11  
The stihl has the adjustment on some of their models to turn oil flow up. That was the 1st thing I noticed when I switched to stihl, there bar oil consumtion.

I have mine turned all the way up for maximum oil flow and it still uses less oil than my dad's older jonsrud with no adjustment.

/ Chainsaw help #12  
I have mine turned all the way up for maximum oil flow and it still uses less oil than my dad's older jonsrud with no adjustment.

I have an older 044 with the adjustable flow rate, it is set at maximum as well. Not as much flow as I'd like for a longer bar and chain, but the Stihl's are known for that. It doesn't overheat the bar now with a 20 inch bar, but a 30 or 36 might be a problem.

One feature it has that I like is that the oiler only operates when the chain is moving, there's a dog on the oiler that engages a slot on the clutch drum. Until the drum turns, no oil is pumped. Nice not to have a puddle of oil under an idling saw.

Chilly

/ Chainsaw help #13  
Oldtrout makes a great point. If an old saw doesn't have modern features such as a chain brake, trash it! Not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

/ Chainsaw help #14  
I inherited a Homelite 240 chainsaw. I was out cutting up some brush and logs to be hauled away with my tractor, obligatory tractor reference. Well it turns out the chain was not getting any oil. There was some oil dripping down the front of the saw. I opened up the top of the saw and found what I think is the oiler. The first pic shows the dripping and the second shows what I think is the oiler circled in red. The two tubes coming out look cracked but I could not see active leaking when I started the saw. Is this the oiler and has anyone tried to replace these tubes? I did clear the ports in the bar to make sure that was not the problem.

One is the fuel line, the other the gas. If the 240 was a derivitive of the super 2 line, there is no oil pump. The oil pushed thru with pressure. On the Super 2, there was a little red cap on the end of the oil tube within the tank. This needs to be there for you to get oil. See if this has come loose within the tank if not there. If the tubes are cracked enough to leak, again no pressure so no oil.

/ Chainsaw help #15  
Oldtrout makes a great point. If an old saw doesn't have modern features such as a chain brake, trash it! Not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

Naaa don't trash it, give it to me :thumbsup: :p. I grew up in a time when we didn't have all these save yourself laws. We actually learned respect for what we were running:cool:. I've also seen what kick back can do even if you have a chainbreak etc... Skin and the human body are quite soft compared to trees :drool:.