Chainsaw Bar Oil

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
Just wondering what weight oil is the oil that Stihl uses on the chainsaw bar. I buy it by the gallon at the Stihl dealers shop. Wondering if there could be a substitute around the farm here that I could use instead of buying the Stihl oil. A friend works at a factory and uses oil from the machines there. He calls it Way and Slide lube. It's heavy and sticky, like maybe 60 weight or so. Would gear EP 90 work, Have a bunch of that. Used for rearends and such. Just wondering,, Thanks. RRM

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #2  
Why risk your $500 saw? Well really the $30 chain and $50 bar but why risk it? I see no need to use Still brand oil but I would use a Bar oil. I get mine at WalMart or TSC for $5 a gallon. Maybe use 2-3 gallons a year but more like 1-2 gallons on average so its not breaking the bank. Kind of like walking over a dollar to pick up a penny in my eyes because I just bough a 5 gallon pale of 80W90 gear oil and it was $54 so that's over $10 per gallon.

Not stomping you here just trying to give you another view point. By the way my saw say's if bar oil is not available I can use 30W motor oil in a pinch.

Chris

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #3  
tsc and walmart have 1g jugs of 'cheap' sticky bar and chain oil... hard to beat them prices..

soundguy

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #4  
30 years ago we used old engine motor oil and our saws were just as expensive in comparison as they are now. Back they a saw had metal in it and the bars were hard. 30 weight in the summer and 10 in the winter. With the new saws of today there is so much plastic that a real heavy oil will destroy the plastic gears in the oil pump.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #5  
used motor oil in a saw is a great way to put contaminates and heavy metals into the environment.. :) glad bar oil is soooo cheap now....

soundguy

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #6  
I knew a guy who used old motor oil and constantly wore out bars and oil pump. Wonder why? All that curd floating around in the oil maybe?

Chris

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #7  
For the bar I just use the cheapest mid-weight motor oil I can find. I've use the same bar and 2 chains for the last 15 years.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #8  
I don't use the name brand Stihl or Husky bar oils just the generic bar oils that I get from the hardware stores around me. I would stick to what ever that is because it is sticky enough to ride out the whole rotation of the chain. Old motor oil does have a lot of contaminates in it and may cost you an oil pump or at the very least extra wear and tear on your bar and chain. I probably go through 6 gallons or more a year.
If you want to be earth friendly take your old car oil to the Recycle places if you have them. They clean it up and send it to your local Golden Arches to cook your french fries in I think.:licking:
Did a quick google search and found this link just in case you were interested.

http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-316758.html

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #9  
I cut and Burn 12+ Cords per year. I have 4 Stihl Saws. I have used a dozen brands of Bar oil and any of them were and are much better than Motor Oil. Use Bar Oil. Its Cheap at $5.00 gln. Recycle your dirty old Motor Oil.

Thanks...:)

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #10  
With the new saws of today there is so much plastic that a real heavy oil will destroy the plastic gears in the oil pump.

Hmmmm, I bought a gallon of 'Pro Mix' or whatever it is bar oil at Lowes when I picked up my 'homeowner' Husky. If I leave the saw sitting 'upright' it will all leak out, I have to leave it laying on it's side. I was thinking of getting some 'real' Stihl oil as I remember it being very sticky stuff... maybe that wouldn't be a good idea?