Chainsaw sharpening machine

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #11  
Like anything else HF sells, it's OK for the home or light duty user. I got one of the $30 wonders and it does OK for the 15 or so times a year that I use it.
I only burn a small amount of wood in the garage stove or use the saw for yard clean up, nothing heavy duty.
Just be ready to have the grinding wheel on it disintegrate periodically.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #12  
Interesting here it is
File gauges - Filing equipment
I like this concept I probably aren't as straight freehand anymore.
JJZ I agree, I had a spare brand new one and set it up and bingo blew apart. I took the small piece and got a stock number and mailed it to HF and they sent a new one...

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #13  
If you are looking for an easy to use electric grinder, buy the Northern Tool one for $89. I tried four of the HF ones before I finally gave up on them. I got the Northern Tool version and have been happy with it.

I also file by hand, and I agree you can get sharper chains when filing by hand. But, after about 10 cuts, you really don't notice the difference. Filing by hand is faster, and that's what I do when in the woods. Filing by hand also takes off less metal, so the chain lasts longer.

I have the Dremel guide (actually two of them now - one set up for 3/8" and another set up for 3/8" LP chain). I use these when in the shop just for a quick touch up. Note: if you go the Dremel route, you'll want to invest in some diamond stones. The Dremel ones wear out quickly.

About every 3-5 sharpenings I'll pull the chain off and use the Northern Tool sharpener. At this point I'll also make sure that all of the cutters are the same length, and I'll take down the rakers.

I generally take a file to the chain every other refill on the gas / oil. This keeps it nice and sharp, and actually saves time in the long run. If you know what to look for, you can just keep an eye on your sawdust. Nice big chips and you know the chain is sharp. Smaller chips, time for a touchup. Actual sawdust? Way past due for a sharpening! Time to put it on the electric grinder.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #14  
Do a search at arboriste.com and you will find that most think the Harbor Freight sharpener is not worth messing with... they will also tell you positively that the Northern Tool sharpener for $89 is a great buy... copy of the Oregon 511. I bought one based on those recommendations, and I am very pleased with it. Try the following link:

Chain Saw Sharpeners, Chainsaw Sharpening Equipment | Northern Tool + Equipment

Here's the correct link to Arborist: http://www.arboristsite.com/

Thanks for the link to the sharpener. Looks great, going to buy based on reviews.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #15  
I got one from HF and I hated it. I ended up giving it away to my father. I still do it by hand- faster, easier and better.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #16  
I got one of these several months ago. http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/products/accessories/ElectricSureSharp.htm

It's basically just a dremel set up for 12v applications. When I bought it, I didn't even realize it was 12 volt, I thought it was 110 volt. I found out it didn't matter since my truck is usually parked near my work bench plus you could run it off your tractor or something else when your in the woods. Its probably not as accurate as a bench grinder, but still does a good quick job.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #17  
i just bought the 12v one that stihl sells for their chains and I got to say it works pretty good,it sure is faster than using a file .it only cost $15.00 but you have to buy the stones seperate,3 for$5.00. russ

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #18  
Buy a husqvarna file guide,the kit is around 16-18 dollars...and hand file your chains...much better results,no overheating the chains,and no more time required as you leave the chain on....I get my files from Baileys,

Bailey's - Save Edge 7/32"

these files are the best Ive used,2-3 strokes on each cutter,and it will be cutting better than any grinder can make it cut....I let a friend help me limb this week,he commented on how hes never ran a saw so sharp in his life...the chains never seen a grinder,and is 7 yrs old,has about 50 tanks of fuel thru it.....hand filing is well worth the time to learn.You can go on youtube and put it in a search,Stihl has a good video that shows exactly how to do it,and file the rakers too....

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #19  
There's a really nice grinder in the shop where I do the odd bit of saw filing, but don't usually use it myself and can't think of the brand.

In my own shop I break files into ~3" lengths and chuck them in an electric drill. Just make sure to run the drill in reverse so the file actually cuts. The price is right for this power sharpening technique as I'd assume that most people with a chainsaw also have a drill and file as well.

A quick tip for cleaning stones used with die grinders: I keep a soup can with a little oil on the bench...dip the stone in and run the grinder for a moment. Pull the stone out of the oil (but keep it inside the can) and give it a quick spin to throw off the oil.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #20  
i just bought the 12v one that stihl sells for their chains and I got to say it works pretty good,it sure is faster than using a file .it only cost $15.00 but you have to buy the stones seperate,3 for$5.00. russ
$15 is a really good price for that. The local Stihl shop sells it for $50. You buy it new?