Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #21  
345-350 Husky with 16" bar best bang for the buck imo, the 350 has adjustable oilier for those that want or need more adjustments. hth

Steve

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #22  
I have a husky 55 Great saw. Good homeowner saw. A little heavy and lacking a little power compared to the pro saws like the 346xp.

Stay away from the Poulin weed eaters. If you really want one you can get a reman at Princess auto, but i wouldnt recommend it. Wild thing.. indeed:cool:

If i have to buy new, id look pretty hard at the xp saws. Money well spent IMHO.

and another vote for only Premium gas (only buy what you'll use in a short time) and good oil . I use the Husquvarna branded oil and never have carb issues in any of my 2 stroke equipment

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #23  
My favorite saws are the 24 and 26 series Stihl. I have used an 024AV for years; it is an awesome saw.My Dad got that saw originally in about 1980. I am rebuilding a 024av woodboss. The 026/MS260 is the same family; most parts interchange.

They are great mid size saws that handle like a dream.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #24  
Echo.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #25  
The smaller Stihls are quite good, I'd look there before Husky. I have several everyday saws, a 242 and 262XP Husky, both "pro" grade saws, an 044 Stihl (definitely pro material), but the last one is a wee little 023 (now MS230) Stihl, that I resurrected from the dead.

Guess which saw gets used the most? The baby Stihl gets the nod most days, for clearing downed trees and firewood. Tough little devil, and close to the price basement of the Stihl lineup. I'd recommend it.

Chilly

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #26  
I would look for a used husqvarna 350, 351, 353 or 55 rancher (not the 455 rancher) and my preference would be the 353 1st, the 55 rancher 2nd, the 351 3rd and then the 350. In Stihl, I would look at the 290 or 390 or maybe something a bit smaller in the stihl line (don't know many of the Stihl smaller models as I am a Husqvarna person. You may want to check arboristsite.com and look in the classified section, most on the site are reputable & would be selling decent equipment.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #27  
Have/have had Stihl, Husky, Echo, and others. Echo has been the best by far.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #28  
Running a 266 Husky that is 30 yrs. old. Firewood every year, and I sell also. Cut pulp and some saw logs, more than a handful of semi-loads and still going strong. Like the higher rpms of Huskys.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #29  
Husqvarna or Stihl. I have an 8 year old Husqvarna 141 (about $220 or so) that never gives any trouble. I keep old gas in it, use gas/oil mixed last fall, you name it I break all the rules, but the saw is always ready to go. Reason I say Stihl is I have a Stihl FS85 weedeater and it does the same.

Prior to this I used Home Depot /Lowes type stuff and they were good for a year or two.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #30  
If you want to buy an Echo --- buy it south of the border -- they are roughly 25 - 30% higher in Canada (yes thirty). Seems a bit extreme -- wait a few months otherwise, prices will come down. Stihl and Husky have some price discrepancy too -- just not as extreme:mad: