McCulloch Timberbear 20" Chainsaw

/ McCulloch Timberbear 20" Chainsaw #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi Guys,

I have just been working on the old Mac chainsaw I have and would you believe, have managed to get it running well - it seems:D:D:D

I had been using regular gas in it last year and haven't run it for a year. I dumped out the old gas and mixed up some premium gas, 2stroke oil at 1:40 ratio and put in some fuel injector cleaner (for gas engines) with the idea of cleaning out the carb, fuel tank and fuel lines etc.

Took a bit of starting but finally ran and smoked like a pig and then slowly the light blue smoke disappeared and it started running clear. Hmmmmm - certainly seems the premium gas is making a difference with the other stuff - had run regular gas before (am new to chainsaws). It certainly sounds better, more responsive , idles better. It sure seems like the injector cleaner is doing it's job
- just hope it doesn't negate the benifit of the 2 stroke oil :confused::confused:
I just need to clean the saw and sharpen the chain and I should then be in business.

I would like to try and find a manual for this saw as it seems to be running very well and starts on 1st pull when warm and would be worth keeping it running properly.

Model number is : 600 13427
Serial number is : 11010 ***

I would like to also know what the engine size is 42cc, 55cc ???

Thanks in advance for any help and info.

Cheers

Jim

/ McCulloch Timberbear 20" Chainsaw #2  
I still have a Super Pro 40 Mac that we bought in '73. It was a fine saw until the dealer replaced the carb. on a recall and it was never worth a flip after that. I may get the old junker out and tinker with it this weekend.:D

/ McCulloch Timberbear 20" Chainsaw
Well, I managed to find a bit of info about my saw at the "Chain Saw Collectors Corner" at the link listed below. There is a wealth of info on that website for anyone that is interested.

Chain Saw Collectors Corner Home

I did find that the Timberbear has a 55cc engine which makes it a very handy saw. It might just be worth spending a little money to have a spare 20" bar and chain - maybe a 16" one as well for trimming. The weight is quite a bit at 18.3 lbs with the 20" bar and chain.

I think the big challenge is going to be finding a owners manual (or copy) for this saw - without it I would be winging any repairs and at the mercy of the saw shops. Anyone out there willing to make a copy of their manual to sell me???

Just thought I would share the website that has a huge amount of information on it.

Thx

Jim

/ McCulloch Timberbear 20" Chainsaw #4  
18 pounds?? I think I'd relegate the old fella to the woodpile for blocking and invest in something a little newer and lighter for limbing and felling.

That's just me.

Chilly