stihl ms362

/ stihl ms362 #1  

highboy1975

Silver Member
well, i bought a 362 new at my local dealership. i was going to get a dolmar, but for 50$ price difference i went with the better dealer support. makita was out of the question since there are no authorized makita service centers near me. i have to say, this saw is sweeeeeeeeeeet. i love the power. ive only cut up some 10inch diameter stuff and cut up some brush with it, but this thing is awesome. one question if anyone can answer before the dealer opens monday. is the oiler adjustment up in a slot under the clutch accessed from the bottom of the saw? if so, i guess im gona have to buy a new screwdriver since nothing i have fits in there. i also cut up some 15 inch apple and this just cut right through it like butter. after i get all the little stuff in the yard cleaned up ill be cutting down some monster pines. that should be a good workout for it.

/ stihl ms362 #2  
well, i bought a 362 new at my local dealership. i was going to get a dolmar, but for 50$ price difference i went with the better dealer support. makita was out of the question since there are no authorized makita service centers near me. i have to say, this saw is sweeeeeeeeeeet. i love the power. ive only cut up some 10inch diameter stuff and cut up some brush with it, but this thing is awesome. one question if anyone can answer before the dealer opens monday. is the oiler adjustment up in a slot under the clutch accessed from the bottom of the saw? if so, i guess im gona have to buy a new screwdriver since nothing i have fits in there. i also cut up some 15 inch apple and this just cut right through it like butter. after i get all the little stuff in the yard cleaned up ill be cutting down some monster pines. that should be a good workout for it.

I have an MS 361 and that is where the oiler adjustment is on mine. I turned mine up all the way as the MS361 is a stingy oiler, don't know if the 362 is the same. Usually the dealer will give you a smaller screwdriver with saw for carb adjustments that also can be used to adjust oiler.

/ stihl ms362
well, i took it to the dealer today and they took it apart and put it back together. he said something must have plugged up the line because its fine now. he said if i run into anymore problems bring it back and theyll put a new bar on it. i think im gona go turn it up now though. ive never had problems with over lubing things, but always when theres not enough.

/ stihl ms362 #4  
I cut wood every day. Set your oiler so that every time you need to re-fuel your oil tank is also empty.
Tractor supply has bar lube on sale.

I have 361 260 pro 460 magnum.

Whene I Die.
Bary-Me Face Down
So The Whole World Can Kiss My ///

/ stihl ms362 #5  
MY MS 310 GAVE ME BAR OIL PROBLEMS UNTILL I ENLARGED THE HOLE ON THE BAR.,

/ stihl ms362
it seems to be working fine now. i guess something plugged up the hole. the oiler was on max from stihl and it seems to be pretty frugal. i ran a tank of gas through it today and i hafta say, i love this thing. so far ive cut up a small pine and a good sized apple tree. cutting up the trunk of the apple was a cake walk. it went through it like it wasnt even trying. the motor never strained one bit and it was pulling chunks out of the tree instead of the usual sawdust. i picked up a couple extra chains today but i shouldnt need them for a bit.

/ stihl ms362 #7  
Good luck with the new saw! I bought a new 361 a year ago January and I liked it so much: I sold my older 2 back up saws and bought a second 361 for my back up saw. I love how those saws cut. I usually run 20" bars on them but keep a 25" bar for larger logs. Have fun!

/ stihl ms362
thanks alot, i plan on it, i have a big pine im taking down this weekend before it falls on the house. i know pine is soft, but it should be fun ripping right through it.

/ stihl ms362 #9  
Great saw - you will enjoy it.

Since we're talking chain saws I feel compelled to bore you with my story. I bought an MS460 with a 25" bar, about four years ago - way more saw than I will ever need - but I love it. I had four big dead oaks within 10 feet of the house - tree company charged me $1500 just to drop them. For them to take them away was over double the cost - so I figured I would do that part myself with my 16" craftsman - what a rookie mistake that was!

Realizing I needed a better saw, I was off to my local Stihl/Husky dealer - told him what I had to do and he walked me through some mid-range choices. I had done no research, so was basically clueless. IIRC, I settled on an MS260 and he went in the back to put it together - while I was standing there I kept looking at the MS460 with the big bar. He comes out - told him I changed my mind and wanted that one - he just smiled that "fool with more money than brains" smile. He threw in the case for free.

While I was waiting another guy was picking up his big Husky from the shop - and had heard the discussion. He asked me what I was gonna do with the wood. Since I don't burn it, I was going to just haul it away. He asked if I would sell it - I told him he could just come get it after I bucked it. (I figured it would take me several weekends) We exchanged numbers and he said to call when I was cutting and he would come help.

He comes out the next day with his F450 stakebody and his Husky - we bucked, hauled and loaded all four trees - just over 4 cords - in about six hours. This guy had 15 years on me but worked me to death! We had to split it (with a maul) to haul it out because of my steep hills - truck was over 150 feet away from the drop sites. My little Murray lawn tractor did all the hauling. It was funny too - I caught him watching me a couple times with my saw - I couldn't tell if it was appreciation for the saw, or waiting to see me cut off my leg with it. His Husky was every bit as big and powerful as mine, so I assume the latter.

Whatever buyer's remorse I had for spending ~$800 on more saw than I needed was erased, as I feel like I came out ahead on the whole deal and got a killer saw out of it.

If you made it this far - thanks for letting me share!:D

/ stihl ms362 #10  
Great saw - you will enjoy it.

Since we're talking chain saws I feel compelled to bore you with my story. I bought an MS460 with a 25" bar, about four years ago - way more saw than I will ever need - but I love it. I had four big dead oaks within 10 feet of the house - tree company charged me $1500 just to drop them. For them to take them away was over double the cost - so I figured I would do that part myself with my 16" craftsman - what a rookie mistake that was!

We must think alike. I just had a similar situation, I had five large 100 plus foot pine trees within about 40 feet from the house and also close to the power lines and telephone poles along the street. A couple of them are almost 3 feet in diameter. The tree guy only charged me $1600 to drop them all. He had to bring in a crane to do it. If I had him buck them, clean up the brush and haul them away it would have been close to $5000 :confused2:.

I also picked up a MS460 with the 25" bar, what an animal of a chainsaw. I have a MS290 for the smaller stuff (which I hope to replace next year with a MS362). I purchased a used 6" hydraulic feed chipper for the limbs etc. I also found a guy who is taking the logs to mill into lumber. It is my project this weekend. I started the cleanup process last weekend.