Chainsaw Chain

/ Chainsaw Chain #1  

WestVirginia

Hi,
What is the best brand of chainsaw chains on the market?
Thanks
WVa

/ Chainsaw Chain
Also,who is a good online supplier of chainsaw products?

/ Chainsaw Chain #3  
WestVirginia, I can’t say what the best chain on the market is. I think it depends on what and how you use your saw. As far as on-line suppliers check these out http://www.baileys-online.com. I have ordered from both of these companies and they have been great to work with.

MarkV

/ Chainsaw Chain #4  
Check out the thread in the "Rural" part of this forum; there is a good discussion going on there. A member also brought up links to some older discussions on this subject.

To answer your question though, Husky and Stihl. You can't go wrong with either. Of course, that is based on expierience, but also simply IMHO/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Chainsaw Chain #5  
Before I bought my Stihl 044, I was using an old Craftsman chainsaw and using Oregon chains. I was happy with these. When I got the Stihl, I buy now only the Stihl chisel point chains. These cut through just about anything like a hot knife through butter.

Bob

/ Chainsaw Chain #6  
Baileys has all that you'll ever need at competitive prices.

/ Chainsaw Chain #7  
Can I jump on your coat tails?
I am interested in the answer to "Where" but I would love to add one more to it... When?

How do you know it is time to replace a chain...
Every time I use my saw, I have to stop repeatedly to re-tension it.. it seems to cut OK, but is it getting stretched out??
I suppose someone may think this is a stooopid question, but I just dunno!

Thanks
Curtis

/ Chainsaw Chain #8  
I found the key is to start with a new chain. Keep it sharp and well lubed. If you let it dull, or get low on lube, the chain will overheat. Once it overheats, it affects the heat treatment of the chain itself. Then it will not hold an edge when sharpened, and it will tend to stretch more.

When I put a new bar on my Husky, I got three chains. I rotate them out as soon as they start to dull.

By doing this, I do not stress the chain as much. It is easier to "touch up" the chain with a file if you do not really wear the tooth edge down. It does not overhaet the chain. And, with three chains, if something happens when I'm out in the woods, I can continue. With only one chain, you might be finished for the day if you throw a chain or catch a rock.

/ Chainsaw Chain #9  
It's a matter of prefrence mostly. I prefer Oregon saw chains.
I do not like the low kickback chains, I do like the chisel point chain that has a scribe mark on the rear end of the tooth that helps you sharpen it at the angle it was first sharpened to.

As has already been said heat from a trying to cut with a dull chain will spoil the temper in the metal and it will never keep an edge again.

The is an equipment rental place around here that will make up saw chains, the second chain is half price. Rule of thumb for a made up chain is about $1.00 per inch of bar lenght for the first chain.

Randy

/ Chainsaw Chain #10  
I've always had new chains stretch a little - but overheat it and it will stretch a lot -- I replace mine when I've sharpened the teeth down to about half of what they were new - or - which happens more than I'd like - I hit something like a rock or piece of fence wire - something that chips the teeth bad enuff so I have to change it.
mike