Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range .

/ Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range . #1  

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
I'm seriously contemplating a saw in this size . It's down to the following saws 395 xp ,390xp ,and the MS 660 . I had thought of including the Dolmar 7900, but there isn't much of a dealership network in my area ,so it's out of consideration .
I'd appreciate any input from those of You that own any of the above mentioned saws . Thanks .

Last edited:
   / Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range .
As LB 59 might say .... BIMP :) (bump for normal posters )
seriously , nobody here uses saws in this range ?

/ Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range . #3  
Any of those 3 are good saws. 390 is lightest if you're going to be toting it around much. 660 certainly has a lot of fans. Best advice is find out which dealer you get along with best. Buy accordingly.

/ Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range . #5  
Makita DCS 9010/Dolmar 9010 is a good saw.

/ Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range . #6  
What size bar will you run? Stihl 044 is still one of my all time favorites and it pulls a 32" even when double cutting. What is the attraction to the 90cc's?

What size bar will you run? Stihl 044 is still one of my all time favorites and it pulls a 32" even when double cutting. What is the attraction to the 90cc's?

I'll run a short bar ,most likely 24inch with an 8 pin sprocket . I've got an 044 that wears a 20" bar ,and a 372 that wears a 24"bar . This saw won't be a necessity . I just want a fairly beastly bucking saw . :) I guess the attraction is that it's a 90 cc saw . What more can I say :)

Robert N .... You don't by chance frequent AS do You ?
I was toying with doing that to My 044 .

/ Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range . #8  
Holy wow. a 24" bar on the 44 must be so fast that you do not need to sharpen the thing. Why would you need a 90cc for that application? I get "the more power the better thing" but it seems like the balance would suck.

/ Saws in the 85 to 90 cc range . #9  
I have a Husky 395XP; I've used it for the last year on a Logosol mill to mill about 10,000 bf of SYP and cedar for my retirement home.

It is one hoss of a saw, especially with a muffler mod.

Pretty heavy, however, to use very long in your hands, (unless you're a really big boy).

But, if you are going to be holding the saw, I have read that the Stihl 660 vibrates your hands quite a bit more than the Husky.
Though I haven't used a large Stihl (just a MS290), I do know that the Husky really does a great job of isolating vibration.

I run it with a richer mix for milling (36:1) and have the hi speed adjustment set a bit on the rich side. Just where you can begin to hear it start to '4 cycle' when reved up without a load.
It has held up very well.

Holy wow. a 24" bar on the 44 must be so fast that you do not need to sharpen the thing. Why would you need a 90cc for that application? I get "the more power the better thing" but it seems like the balance would suck.

Actually it's a 20" bar on the 044 . And , the chain gets sharpened every time I use it :)
Like I said earlier , I don't exactly need it . It's just something that I've wanted to do for a long time . As to balance , if it doesn't feel right , I'll be shopping at Bailey's yet again :)