help with saw purchase.

/ help with saw purchase. #51  
I've been following this thread, sort of lurking like...because I am in a similar situation looking for a new Husqvarna to either augment or replace my trusty Husqy 257 (with 16"bar). I originally was thinking I would go a bit bigger, maybe a 357XP and get rid of my 257 but that thought made me sad! The 257 has been like a perfect mate, no complaints I have just gotten to the point I feel proficiant enough and flush enough to get something with more power. I don't make my living cutting but 20 or more cords a year plus lots of wind damage on my acreage, especially this year! Now it looks like the only perfect solution is keep my 257 for limbing and overhead work (I know, I know don't tell OSHA) and get the 372XP with a 20" bar for serious wood production. My local guy says the 20" balances the saw nicely...The jump in wgt is signifigant but the trade off seems well worth it. The one thing I did like at the shop was the 357XP was not "Green" which usually means it has not been nuetered in the same way as the "New" 372XP. So, do any of you more expert than me guys think my thinking is faulty?? Learned alot reading here, as usual! Rod

/ help with saw purchase. #52  
   / help with saw purchase.
I would have to put in a vote for the 372. 20" bar is good untill you get into the big stuff. Saw will pull a 20" chain with ease

/ help with saw purchase. #54  
rodfatherjr:
I've got both the 357xp & the 372xp, if you already have the 257 I would skip over the 357, you'll be glad you did; especially in 16" & larger wood. The 372 handles great with a 20" bar and I believe it will take up to a 28" if I recall. If you look around you should be able to find the "old style" 372 (non-strato/non x-torque), I haven't tried the new style 372, but it looks like it has a piston/cylinder set-up similar to the K750 cut-off saw I have.