Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth?

/ Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
I have a Stihl mx270c saw, great tool, but I hate the bucking tooth. There is only one tooth on the inside and it's too close to the saw to really work. I'd like a more aggressive tooth and a second one on the outside. Does anybody know of a alternate tooth? Is there one from a bigger saw that'll fit?

/ Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth? #2  
I take them off and throw them away

/ Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth? #3  
Most pros that I know actually remouve the teeth.
If a saw is sharp, teeth are not needed as it will practically self feed.

/ Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth?
Don't know why people would do that. I love them. Use them on almost every cut. Gives you a easy point to lever the nose and keep the motor from rising. Besides, how do you stump without the teeth? The only saw that I wouldn't want them on is my little trim saw.

/ Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth? #5  
The one for the outside matches the inside one which is quite aggressive for the size of the saw.

I'd wonder of the need for more but to overcome a dull chain?

/ Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth? #6  
As to getting longer teeth, I'd fashion some out of a piece of steel. Find someone with a plasma cutter and that job should not be too hard to do. Quicker than a hand hack saw and a file, but that would work too.
What length bar do you have?

I've kept my single set of bucking teeth on my MS361, and occasionally use them when felling a tree. But they are not necessary for the reasons given. On occasion when bucking a large log (bigger than the 20" bar), I'll help the cut using the teeth. Western big-timber cutters will have more aggressive bucking teeth on longer bar saws.

When felling, I plunge cut after making the notch. Neither cuts of which need the teeth, nor does making the releasing back-cut. It is the Game-of-logging technique taught for best and safest felling control of the tree.

/ Different Stihl Ms270c bucking teeth?
The one for the outside matches the inside one which is quite aggressive for the size of the saw.

I'd wonder of the need for more but to overcome a dull chain?

The quick adjust saws don't have outside teeth. Also, due to the quick adjust mechanism, it's sometimes difficult to get the inside ones to engage. They grab, but then quickly release. If they were moved forward even 1/4", they would be much more effective. My guess is that the teeth are stock to the 270, and then they added the quick adjust mechanism without addressing the fact that it's larger than the stock side cover.

The bar is a 20" and, when appropriate, I do use the plunge method.