.325 for Husky Rancher 55

/ .325 for Husky Rancher 55 #1  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
I've got a Rancher 55 (older one) that came with a 3/8" pitch chain. I would like to switch it over to a .325 Narrow chain. The reason for this is that I bought a Stihl 250 and it will out cut my Husky all day long even with 25% less power so I'm thinking it has to be due to the chain.

How easy can it be done and could I use a Stihl Chain? What do I need just a chain and bar? :confused:

/ .325 for Husky Rancher 55
I've seen those but I wasn't sure about the spur gear, alot of the 55's came wiht a .325 chain new. Mine did not, so I wasn't sure if I just bought a bar and chain like that if I needed to change my other gear or not.:confused:

/ .325 for Husky Rancher 55 #4  
I have called them before and they seem to know what works with what so they will let you know if you need to change the sprocket. If you do have to change, go with the rim and drum, really nice to use and all you have to change to get a new sprocket is the rim, less than 4 bucks.

Good deal, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

/ .325 for Husky Rancher 55 #6  
I have called them before and they seem to know what works with what so they will let you know if you need to change the sprocket. If you do have to change, go with the rim and drum, really nice to use and all you have to change to get a new sprocket is the rim, less than 4 bucks.

If you were running a 3/8 chain on the saw before, you will have to change the sprocket, and the bar (the nose sprockets are different too) in order to change to a .325 pitch chain. Keep in mind, there are several different guage chains as well as different pitches. Most stihls (the larger ones that I'm used to anyway) come with a .063 ga. chain, most of your husqvarna's come with either a .058 or .050 ga. chain. As milkman says, go with a new rim sprocket & clutch combo no matter which chain you decide to go with. I find it hard to believe the 250 will outcut the 55 unless the saw really neeeds a good tuning (new filter, plug, and carb adjustment), along with fresh fuel; the 55 is a very reliable saw in the Husky line-up, it has the magnesium case unlike the new plastic case saws they are putting out now (just be glad you don't have the 455). I would make sure the 55 is sharp, the sprocket is in good shape, the bar is dressed evenly and the fuel is fresh. The 3/8 chain set-up does take a little away from the table with the 55 (they were available with both the 3/8 or the .325 set-up), but the chains will last you much longer and you will be able to get more sharpenings before replacement. Remember to file your rakers when necesssary after sharpening (are you throwing chips or sawdust?), even the sharpest chain is useless unless it is allowed to take a bite with each cutter! You may also be running a low kick-back chain on the husky which also takes away from the saw; take your 3/8's chain to a stihl or husky dealer (not a box store) and ask them for one of their professional chains, this too makes a world of difference not to mention it will save you the cost of a new bar & drum/sprocket (provided your present sprocket is in good shape). I have used a Husqvarna 55 for years, and while it doesn't compare to my 346xp, 357xp or my 372xp (the 346 being the only one in the same hp range) I would not consider it a dog by any means, I would check out the areas mentioned above & your 55 should have no problem out-cutting the 250.

/ .325 for Husky Rancher 55 #7  
I agree. Something is wrong with your Husky. Are you sure the current chain is sharp? If so, go the a dealer and get a full chisel chain. It will make a world of difference.

The chain is sharp and it's a pro chain already, I went to a local sawmill/husky dealer to get it. The saw is tuned up and running good, I'm getting chips out of it but that little Stihl is out performing the Husky all day long. The Husky no doubt has more power, it's heavier and by all means should be making the Stihl look bad but it's not. I'd say the Stihl is out cutting by a good 25% anyway, probably more. The only thing I could think was it was the chain from the Stihl making the difference. The Stihl came with a .063 .325 Pitch chain, that's why I wanted to try one on the Husky as well, to eliminate that variable too.

/ .325 for Husky Rancher 55 #9  
I'm not surprised the Stihl outruns the Husky. I have an 023 with narrow kerf chain that cuts circles around my Husky 242.

The 55 Rancher isn't enough saw to effectively pull a 3/8 chain in my opinion. The more wood you pull out of the cut, the harder the saw has to work.

I have a 262 XP Husky, an 044 Stihl, and the two I mentioned before. Only the two bigger saws have 3/8 chain, the others have .325. The 262 and 044 are true pro saws, lots of power to pull the larger cutters.

If you're going to go with .325, I'd recommend Oregon's 30 series chains, all are "low load" chains for lack of a better term. The 20 series are so-called professional chains, but put more load on the saw.

Sean

/ .325 for Husky Rancher 55 #10  
You may want to pull the muffler & see if you have scoring on the P&C, these saw's will run (and sound fine) down to around 110psi on a compression guage, but that is about 40-50 psi from where they should be. Is the saw 4 storking @ WOT? I really think you have more of a problem than just chain size to allow the 250 to outcut the 55.