Cold natured Stihl ?

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
Anyone else on here ever had a Stihl that flat had to warm up before running? I've got an 028 that is about 25 years old - used minimally over the years, but it has always been cold natured from day one. You get it started with choke on (even if it's 90 deg. outside), let it idle for 5 minutes or so, then and only then can you cut choke off and operate as normal. It's been adjusted on by many with no success. Not a big issue, just curious if anyone else has had this problem and managed to cure it. No other piece of Stihl equipment I have or have had is like this.

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #2  
I have the problem but no cure... had to buy my wife her own chainsaw because she could not start the 028 :thumbsup:

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #3  
they're ain't nothin makes me madder than a lawn mower or chainsaw that won't crank.....I have only owned but 1 Stihl chainsaw and it was the most difficult to ever startup, I've had other brands 1 homelite & 2 poulan's over the duration of 30 years and all would start up good with 1 pull on choke and 2nd pull to run. I never did know what all the fuss was about with the stihl's.... I was also given as a birthday gift from the in-laws a nice shiny new stihl weed edger it did good out of the box but then got dificult to start, so I went and purchased a Homlite, I still Have the stihl weed whacker hanging on the shed wall as wall art:cool: and been using 2 homlite for the past 20 years, I do have a stihl backpack blower that starts up easily,:thumbsup:

/ Cold natured Stihl ?
The 028's cold nature did'nt bother me much until I got a Husky 372xp that starts far easier and is ready to go once started. Oh well, it runs like a champ once warm.

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #6  
Have owned two Stihl saws, an 041 that still starts great (new in '74), and an MS361 ('04) that is almost as good but still an easy starter.
I think a lot has to do with settings and fuel and how they have been treated over the years. Buddy has an 028 and it is the easiest thing to start of any saws I've been around.
Guess they all don't act the same and all have a particular mood about them. Maybe they are female? :)

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #7  
Your carbs need adjustment. Stihl when cold is two pulls whith choke on and it should have fired, turn the choke of and with the third they are running. Husquvarna has been the same.

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #8  
Yep, the carb needs adjustment (or even a carb kit). Make sure the air filter is nice and clean. Oh, and you have a newer, correctly gapped, plug, right?

I'm assuming you are using the 92 octane gas, fresh within the last week, mixing with Stihl 2 stroke oil (and not TWC3).

Stihl starting procedure is to full choke until it pops, then take choke off and it should fire up the next pull. My old 036 may take up to 7 pulls to pop if it has been sitting for a while.

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #9  
If it was mine I would back the low side out until it grabbed r's w/o stumble when it was cold and then turn it in slightly, it sounds awful lean to me adjustment wise or its got a air leak somewhere same symptoms.

Steve

/ Cold natured Stihl ? #10  
I have a BG85 blower that does the same. Starts easy, but no top end for about 3 minutes. Been like that for years. Fuel mix and carb adjustment same as my other 7 Stihl items, and none of them have this condition.

Can't complain, purchased in 2003 and I stopped counting when it went over an estimated 1500 hours.

Mike