Oil Boiling

/ Oil Boiling #11  
I would replace the chain. Once they get that hot the temper will most likely be gone and it'll dull very quickly. I would also run the saw for a little while, say a half tank, and then check the spark plug. I think there's a chance you could have damaged the output shaft seal and if so your mixture could be off. If it's too rich your plug will be black and it could foul. If it's too lean it'll be white and running for extended periods of time like this will kill your saw. I would also check the level of the bar oil, if you burnt a 1/2 tank of gas then you should have used about 1/2 tank of oil. If it's empty or full then you may have done some damage to the bar oiling system. If you bought it from a dealer I would have him check it out.

/ Oil Boiling #12  
Contact Stihl and explain what has happened , I'm sure they will give you a new saw straight away . Stihl dealers MUST assemble the saw and test it before they give it to you , that is Stihl's policy . The blocked oil supply hole SHOULD have been discovered by the dealer , first by visual inspection when assembling the saw and definitely whilst testing it . The bar , chain , drive sprocket and possibly the oil pump (as it was not primed and may have run dry) are now damaged and I would think Stihl would just give you a new saw , they are a reputable company that enjoys public approval . They would replace the saw to keep you as a customer happy and also supply you with an uncompromised saw with full warranty . They will be flabbergasted at the dealers remark about fuel being the suspect .

/ Oil Boiling #13  
I looked in my MS290 manual -- it recommends premium fuel:confused3:
I agree with Iron Horse -- I would be talking to Stihl if the dealer is not up for an exchange