stihl oil cap

/ stihl oil cap #11  
I've found that the oil cap on my Stihl saws don't want to start if I overfill the oil tank, but if I leave a little space they screw bank on just fine.

/ stihl oil cap
You talking about those danged new flippy caps? Looks like they seat and seal and then it's mix all down the trousers. :(

Yes its this darn flippy caps. I just removed the oil cap and haven't tried the fule cap. If it's going to be that big of a pain, I'll sell the saw and get something else. Poor design. Whats wrong with threaded cap?

Wedge

/ stihl oil cap #13  
I thought I was the only one. I’ve considered getting another from the dealer, but haven’t made it in yet. Sounds like it won’t help. The gas cap goes on fine, but I’ve spent more than 10 minutes before trying to get the oil cap on properly.

/ stihl oil cap #14  
Stihl started using these caps on their blowers and line trimmers also... the biggest mistake they ever made... the cap and mechanisim is a . I just had to buy 2 new caps at $9 each, and they work fine now but I know they will fail with time. They are so bad that it will cause me to stop buying Stihl 2 cycle (and 4 mix) equipment.

/ stihl oil cap #15  
Stihl started using these caps on their blowers and line trimmers also... the biggest mistake they ever made... the cap and mechanisim is a POS. I just had to buy 2 new caps at $9 each, and they work fine now but I know they will fail with time. They are so bad that it will cause me to stop buying Stihl 2 cycle (and 4 mix) equipment.
I had a lot of trouble when I 1st got mine. The cap mechanism engages and draws up as you turn it into place. Somehow on the 1st fillup I got mine in the drawn up position before trying to turn it -- so it wouldnt turn. What i had to do is engage the slots and turn it 1/4turn ccw to return it to "ready". Then place the cap in with the fold out butterfly handle oriented vertical, hold in gently and turn it til the handle was horizontal. This engaged the dogs and drew the O-ring seal into place. Success.:thumbsup:
larry

/ stihl oil cap #16  
WOW!
Didn't know they could be such a challenge. Have had no trouble getting them to work just fine. :confused3:

Better consider myself lucky.

/ stihl oil cap #18  
Fortunately mine is'nt new enough to have that cap, but local dealer stocks plenty of them as folks do seem to go thru quite a few.

/ stihl oil cap #19  
Add me to the list for the same problem on one of mine. I have 2, both have the flip caps, one works fine the others oil cap is a PITA. I did the same as what Spyderlk suggested.

/ stihl oil cap #20  
My dealer says its the weakest part on the whole machine when I asked if they had flip caps for my 029. He said that I have to (thankfully) stay with the old style bomb-proof caps. The threads are not the same.

He had a drawer full of the flip caps to sell