stihl oil cap

/ stihl oil cap #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
Anybody else have problems getting the oil cap to align right when putting back on? Mine seems to always cross thread. Is there a trick?

Wedge

/ stihl oil cap #3  
The plastic caps swell with age and won't thread back in. Happened to my 40 year old Stihl chainsaw gas cap and Kubota BX2200 hydro fill cap. Cure is new cap.

Last edited:
   / stihl oil cap #4  
With almost any kind of screw on cap or lid, if it doesn't go on easily to start with, I set it on there and turn it counterclockwise until a "click"; i.e., the first threads are then lined up to turn it clockwise.

But that is not to say it'll solve your problem which may be different.

/ stihl oil cap
The plastic caps swell with age and won't thread back in. Happened to my 40 year old Stihl chainsaw gas cap and Kubota BX2200 hydro fill cap. Cure is new cap.

Brand spankin new saw. Just got it last year.
Guess I'll take the saw to the shop and see what they say.

Wedge

/ stihl oil cap #6  
I agree they are a pain. Probably right about the o-rings. I have several tools with with the flip and twist caps and have broken two so far. I keep a new on around because they seen to fail when you need them.

Another complaint I have is the choke lever. Hard enough to get your fingers on it let alone turn it with gloves on.

Dan

/ stihl oil cap #7  
You talking about those danged new flippy caps? Looks like they seat and seal and then it's mix all down the trousers. :(

/ stihl oil cap #8  
I've had a Stihl MS361 with the flip caps (I think of them more as plugs as they have male ends). Have not had a problem with either the oil or gas. Forgot to put the oil plug back in once, but that was me. They have a slot to fit into, as mine are not threaded. Turn them in a half turn, and flip the bail down. I suspect one can misalign the slot ??

And no problem with the choke on this saw. But don't know if all the Stihl are the same.

My 1975 041 Stihl has the screw in plugs, and they have been no problem. My Stihl trimmer/brush cutter has a plastic cap on the gas tank. I was tightening it too tight, and cracked the plastic. Now I just snug it firm.

/ stihl oil cap #9  
You talking about those danged new flippy caps? Looks like they seat and seal and then it's mix all down the trousers.

And don't forget your opportunity to get either mix or bar oil all over your nearly new $200 boots.

Always happens to me on the first day of a 2-week hunting trip, so that one of the pairs of trousers I have been planning to wear for a while is now out of service until I get back home.

Once bitten, I now lift the little ring and try to pull straight out. If it pops off, it was put on wrong.