Chainsaw Brand Quality Question

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #1  

TGF

Gold Member
Tractor
3038E
I have been using an Axe for the last 2 months and as much fun as it is, I had a tree with about a 3 foot diameter trunk fall down during the last wind storm and i figure it is time it buy a chainsaw. My friends and neihbors say buy a sthil everything else is junk. Reading the reviews at Amazon seem to further their opinion. I am sure several of you guys own chain saws so help me out with some real world expeirince. Is it worth the money to get a Sthil, or is their a brand of comparable quality for less $$?

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #2  
I think your neighbours are half right - Stihl are indeed very good - certainly they are what I would buy.

However, I think most people would agree Husqvarna are every bit as good, and probably Jonserads and Sachs-Dolmar are not very far behind.

What does your favourite dealer sell? What feels most comfortable - oh, and to avoid a post on the safety forum - think training and safety kit as well - which do not have to be all from same vendor.

J

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #3  
I'm sure that you'll get plenty of replies on this open ended question! I've owned and used chainsaws for most of the last 35 years. I always went with the lower priced saws because a Stihl seemed a higher than needed initial investment. Last Christmas my wife bought me a great present-Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. I can very comfortably say that I was probably more wrong than right all those earlier years. The Stihl is that much better! Good luck and be safe with whatever you get ...

Frank

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #4  
There are saws equal to the quality of a Sthil. Just make sure you are comparing the same use definition of the saw.:D

Quality costs. Other brands with equal quality will be in the same price range.:)

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #5  
You don't want to use an axe to chop up a tree with a 3 foot diameter? ... what a wuss! kidding ;)

Stihl is worth the money ... been using them for decades and wouldn't consider any other brand except maybe Husqvarna.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question
I'm sure that you'll get plenty of replies on this open ended question! I've owned and used chainsaws for most of the last 35 years. I always went with the lower priced saws because a Stihl seemed a higher than needed initial investment. Last Christmas my wife bought me a great present-Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. I can very comfortably say that I was probably more wrong than right all those earlier years. The Stihl is that much better! Good luck and be safe with whatever you get ...

Frank

Good to hear because i was looking at a Farm Boss or Wood Boss. The closest dealer to me sells Stihl.

I am not going to quit the axe but what lies on my woods floor is truely a monumental task, 3 feet dia, and about 60 foot long. Its laying right across my rifle range and the brush is starting to get high were i can't go with the tractor. The axe is alot of fun and takes some skill, i can take a 4 inch log in 3 swipes if they are good ones.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #7  
You can't go wrong with a Stihl. They are great.

Husky is pretty good. Sach's, Jonsereds are rated good.

Remember though, at least in Stihl and Husky brands, there are consumer, and Pro type models. Compare apples to apples when you look at them.

Aboristsite has TONS of info about saws, brands, ect.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #8  
Stihl is pretty good, but make sure you can remove and replace the oil and fuel caps before leaving the store.
The engineer who came up with the new design needs be keel hauled in my book.

Wedge

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #9  
I bought a Stihl 026 about twelve years ago and it has been a great saw. The dealer told me then that the even numbered Stihl saws were pro saws and the odd numbers were home owner saws. I don't know if that still applies. I have an old Poulan saw that is big and heavy, sounds like a chevy 327 running and idling. Now it will cut some wood...

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #10  
All of the big saw manufacturers have different grades of saws, most have home owner grade saws, land owner grade saws and professional saws; the professional saw will definately cost more money (but there is a world of difference when taking the professional step, especially in the power to weight ratio). The MS290 mentioned in one of the above posts is a good example of something considered a land owner saw, kind of middle of the road but a real step up from the box store cheapies. It doesn't say where you are located, but I would suggest you rent a saw to tackle your 3' tree; in theory people are sure to chime in and say you can cut a 3' tree with a saw that has an 18"-20" bar, and I would tend to say sure you can (especially so if it is one of the pro class saws). If you are not really into a saw purchase try renting one, just be sure to let the rental company know how big of a tree you are cutting so you get a decent size saw. Better yet, if you have a freind that is used to using a saw this would be an even better idea, as lack of experience is not good when attemmping to cut a tree as large as the one you're talking about. It might even be a good idea to hire someone to come in and block the tree up for you! Check out www.arboristsite.com you will find a great deal of info there, however if you do visit that site, be prepared; you will get a broad variety of opinions on saw quality