Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #1  

jltrent

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I have a small Poulan chainsaw that is at least 20 years old, but not used much. The problem is it starts up easy, but when you push the trigger it runs way to high and then cuts out. I have replaced the gasket under the carburetor and adjusted the high and low settings and this doesn't help. I can leave the choke on about 3/4's and it runs and doesn't cut out as much. It use to cut great to be a small saw. Any ideals what could be the problem? It is a saw like this one on ebay.

1975 Full Page Color Ad For Poulan CounterVibe Chainsaw - eBay (item 180530361351 end time Jul-14-10 16:35:27 PDT)

Last edited:
   / Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #2  
Sounds like,[well] maybe getting plenty of air,not enough gas??

Eliminate things,what things you say:D,,well,replace fuel filter in tank,clean air filter,go to a chainsaw place and buy a good plug for it,most have a fuel tank vent,either off a line on top or tank cap itself,check this out. Than there is idle speed screw,hi/lo screws you can play with,than new gas[high test with right amount of oil in it mixed good,,,so,,you got to eliminate problems,than,you take it to a chainsaw repair type place and say,did,this,did that,whats the problem,[if you can get anybody to work on it that is]...

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #3  
I have a small Poulan chainsaw that is at least 20 years old, but not used much. The problem is it starts up easy, but when you push the trigger it runs way to high and then cuts out. I have replaced the gasket under the carburetor and adjusted the high and low settings and this doesn't help. I can leave the choke on about 3/4's and it runs and doesn't cut out as much. It use to cut great to be a small saw. Any ideals what could be the problem? It is a saw like this one on ebay.

1975 Full Page Color Ad For Poulan CounterVibe Chainsaw - eBay (item 180530361351 end time Jul-14-10 16:35:27 PDT)

Sounds like a large air leak somewhere making it too lean.

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #4  
Gauthier gives good advice here. If the saw has not been used for a while, check to see if the fuel filter in tank has not varnished up to allow only a meager fuel flow. You are definitely running lean. If it is not something simply viewed such as what has been desribed, check to see if you have any gas line leak. Also, many times a small bit of crap can get sucked into the carb and cause exactly this condition. These carbs are pretty simple devices that need to be cleaned out sometimes. Do the simple stuff first however..

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #5  

I agree. It is probably a crank seal that is bad. Back in the day, we'd put a plate over the carb attachment point and pressurize the crankcase with a little squeeze bulb, then watch a pressure gauge to see how fast it leaked down.

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #6  

He is right on. Don't waste your time replacing spark plug. Really only thing on machine like that that can cause over-revving is an air leak.
-Jay

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #7  
If You suspect an air leak , use a bit of spray brake cleaner . Spray it near the suspected air leak while running the saw . The leak will become evident if there is one .

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #8  
Those were great little saws. An air leak could well be your problem, however, before I discarded the saw I would try a new fuel pump diaphragm and a new metering diaphragm unless they have been changed in the last year or so. I would also give the carb a good cleaning. As I recall, it has a walbro carb and you can visit their website for lots of good tech tips. Carb rebuild kit is about $10. I usually just get the diaphram kit for about half that. :thumbsup:

Nixon is right on for locating an air leak.

/ Poulan Chainsaw running to fast #9  
Those were great little saws. An air leak could well be your problem, however, before I discarded the saw I would try a new fuel pump diaphragm and a new metering diaphragm unless they have been changed in the last year or so. I would also give the carb a good cleaning. As I recall, it has a walbro carb and you can visit their website for lots of good tech tips. Carb rebuild kit is about $10. I usually just get the diaphram kit for about half that. :thumbsup:

Nixon is right on for locating an air leak.

These were great little saws with 1/4 pitch chain. Very well built when Poulan was Poulan. Could get real tempermental with fuel mix. Witnessed several of these in mid air on occasion.