Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    103
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Tractor
    Kubota

    Default Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    I have a small Poulan chainsaw that is at least 20 years old, but not used much. The problem is it starts up easy, but when you push the trigger it runs way to high and then cuts out. I have replaced the gasket under the carburetor and adjusted the high and low settings and this doesn't help. I can leave the choke on about 3/4's and it runs and doesn't cut out as much. It use to cut great to be a small saw. Any ideals what could be the problem? It is a saw like this one on ebay.


    1975 Full Page Color Ad For Poulan CounterVibe Chainsaw - eBay (item 180530361351 end time Jul-14-10 16:35:27 PDT)
    Last edited by jltrent; 07-09-2010 at 09:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    677
    Location
    w.v.
    Tractor
    ck30 kioti

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    Sounds like,[well] maybe getting plenty of air,not enough gas??

    Eliminate things,what things you say,,well,replace fuel filter in tank,clean air filter,go to a chainsaw place and buy a good plug for it,most have a fuel tank vent,either off a line on top or tank cap itself,check this out. Than there is idle speed screw,hi/lo screws you can play with,than new gas[high test with right amount of oil in it mixed good,,,so,,you got to eliminate problems,than,you take it to a chainsaw repair type place and say,did,this,did that,whats the problem,[if you can get anybody to work on it that is]...

  3. #3
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    316
    Location
    Phoenix AZ and offgrid weekend place south of Prescott
    Tractor
    John Deere 4500 and Mule 3010 (gas)

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    Quote Originally Posted by jltrent View Post
    I have a small Poulan chainsaw that is at least 20 years old, but not used much. The problem is it starts up easy, but when you push the trigger it runs way to high and then cuts out. I have replaced the gasket under the carburetor and adjusted the high and low settings and this doesn't help. I can leave the choke on about 3/4's and it runs and doesn't cut out as much. It use to cut great to be a small saw. Any ideals what could be the problem? It is a saw like this one on ebay.


    1975 Full Page Color Ad For Poulan CounterVibe Chainsaw - eBay (item 180530361351 end time Jul-14-10 16:35:27 PDT)
    Sounds like a large air leak somewhere making it too lean.
    RavensRoost
    John Deere 4500, Kawasaki Mule 3010 (gas)

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    3,084
    Location
    Foster, RI
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    Gauthier gives good advice here. If the saw has not been used for a while, check to see if the fuel filter in tank has not varnished up to allow only a meager fuel flow. You are definitely running lean. If it is not something simply viewed such as what has been desribed, check to see if you have any gas line leak. Also, many times a small bit of crap can get sucked into the carb and cause exactly this condition. These carbs are pretty simple devices that need to be cleaned out sometimes. Do the simple stuff first however..

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,436
    Location
    Michigan

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRoost View Post
    Sounds like a large air leak somewhere making it too lean.
    I agree. It is probably a crank seal that is bad. Back in the day, we'd put a plate over the carb attachment point and pressurize the crankcase with a little squeeze bulb, then watch a pressure gauge to see how fast it leaked down.

  6. #6
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    116
    Location
    Collins, NY
    Tractor
    John Deere 855

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRoost View Post
    Sounds like a large air leak somewhere making it too lean.
    He is right on. Don't waste your time replacing spark plug. Really only thing on machine like that that can cause over-revving is an air leak.
    -Jay

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,278
    Location
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    If You suspect an air leak , use a bit of spray brake cleaner . Spray it near the suspected air leak while running the saw . The leak will become evident if there is one .
    044* , ms460* 346XP* , 372XP* ,390XP* , 395XP** ,562XP 550xp,American CLS 25hh log splitter .
    (* Tlandrum work saws ) ( ** Mastermind work saws )

  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    288
    Location
    Fleming Island,FL
    Tractor
    John Deere 2006 4320 CUT, 1970 Power King 2416

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    Those were great little saws. An air leak could well be your problem, however, before I discarded the saw I would try a new fuel pump diaphragm and a new metering diaphragm unless they have been changed in the last year or so. I would also give the carb a good cleaning. As I recall, it has a walbro carb and you can visit their website for lots of good tech tips. Carb rebuild kit is about $10. I usually just get the diaphram kit for about half that.

    Nixon is right on for locating an air leak.

  9. #9
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    3,084
    Location
    Foster, RI
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

    Default Re: Poulan Chainsaw running to fast

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Those were great little saws. An air leak could well be your problem, however, before I discarded the saw I would try a new fuel pump diaphragm and a new metering diaphragm unless they have been changed in the last year or so. I would also give the carb a good cleaning. As I recall, it has a walbro carb and you can visit their website for lots of good tech tips. Carb rebuild kit is about $10. I usually just get the diaphram kit for about half that.

    Nixon is right on for locating an air leak.
    These were great little saws with 1/4 pitch chain. Very well built when Poulan was Poulan. Could get real tempermental with fuel mix. Witnessed several of these in mid air on occasion.

Similar Threads

  1. Chainsaw selection... ideas?
    By RadarTech in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 12-25-2010, 09:33 AM
  2. CHeap chainsaw?
    By WayneB in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 01:30 AM
  3. McCulloch Timberbear 20" Chainsaw
    By doxford jim in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
  4. Poulan chainsaw fuel mix.
    By Timark80 in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 05:31 PM
  5. Who makes a decent chainsaw?
    By GrantMO in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 06-20-2002, 06:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.