Bar Length Recommendations

/ Bar Length Recommendations
Thank you all for your replies. I hefted the saw at the dealer's for a little while, and decided that it just felt nicely balanced with the 18" bar. Holding it by one finger, it just sat level. My old saw was smaller and lighter, and a 18" on it would have felt out of whack. So I went with the 18" bar. I know it is only 2" longer (not even, in reality), but it feels so much bigger than my old 16". But I bet by this Sunday night, it will feel just as natural as my old saw. I've got some cutting to do. :D

What a great Forum. Again, thank you all.

Nick

/ Bar Length Recommendations #22  
That thing will put a smile on your face and after 7 or 8 tanks of gas through it, you'll have a wood eating animal on your hands. Of course we want pictures with lots of action shots. :D:thumbsup:

/ Bar Length Recommendations #23  
As I get older, the shorter bars seem to suit me better. Ken Sweet

Maybe a 13 in bar. Ridiculously short but very handy for a lot of things.:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
18 is long enuf for a pretty good variety including pretty large. If you do limbing tho it will put you at more danger than a short one. If you cant have 2 saws Id go with a 14" one to be safer in limbing and pop on the long one only when you really need it.
larry

/ Bar Length Recommendations #24  
18 is ideal for that saw. Congrat's on getting a Husqvarna. You will LOVE it.

/ Bar Length Recommendations #25  
I had Solo 651 and it was just a trouble saw. When it finally died, I was left with narrow kerf 20" bar and 3 chains in ok shape.

Now my new saw is Farm hand Husqvarna from TBC with 3/8" chain. To use my leftover chains (.325) I got a new clutch with a ring (Baileys) and now I run the saw with a narrow kerf. The cutting is so fast, I am thinking to stick with narrow kerf for good.

But I also have 20 and 16" bar for the 3/8" chain - I guess I will be going back and forth.

/ Bar Length Recommendations #26  
I'd heed the warnings on the 18" being a risk when you are moving the saw around a lot. I once did some work with a pro lumberjack and in general he always worked with short bars, 14" to 16", even on big engines. They were safer, cut way faster and put less stress on the motor and were faster to sharpen. I was amazed to see him use the short bar even to fell big trees (He'd take the wedge out, then cut from the back).
I use Carlton bar and chains on my husq.

/ Bar Length Recommendations #27  
Maybe a 13 in bar. Ridiculously short but very handy for a lot of things.:thumbsup:

Not ridiculously short - here's my new 10" stubby -

attachment.php

Had a 16" bar, put the 10" on so it's easier to trim with.
attachment.php

I couldn't justify to myself a $300 or more top handle saw, so I got a $15 bar and $8 worth of chain.

/edit -
I bought the original saw w/ 16" bar and two chains NEW for $50.

Attachments

• efco-10a8x6.JPG
    efco-10a8x6.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 302
  • g3intree_second-limb2.jpg
    g3intree_second-limb2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 302
   / Bar Length Recommendations #28  
Not ridiculously short - here's my new 10" stubby -

attachment.php

Had a 16" bar, put the 10" on so it's easier to trim with.
I couldn't justify to myself a $300 or more top handle saw, so I got a $15 bar and $8 worth of chain.
Thats a nice bar .. well rounded tip. So many make a much sharper turn. Wears the chain faster. Is that form typical of the "Double Guard" Oregon?
Thanks,
larry