Very happy chain saw owner

/ Very happy chain saw owner #1  

TGF

Gold Member
Tractor
3038E
After much research here and on arborsite. I decided to get a MS 290 Farmboss, so far I have used it about 20 hours. I only have a 16 inch bar on it which seems to be great.

Today was the largest job yet. Took down a dead 40 foot maple. It was great. One of the negatives people often mention about it is the gas caps. I don't understand where the ire of the caps comes from. They work great. I have had zero problems and they don't leak at all. They are quick to use too and give you that positive click to let you know they engaged fully. Anyhow its a great saw for my needs and the price was good as well.

Thanks to all the steered me towards this saw.

/ Very happy chain saw owner #2  
Congrats. I bought a MS 390 a year ago and love it. I also have no problems with the gas cap. I suspect that if you are in a hurry putting gas cap on and stick it on crooked, maybe it screws up the threads and makes it hard to deal with in the future. For now, mine has been working great.
-Jay

/ Very happy chain saw owner #3  
Congratulations on the new saw. I'm going to be in the market for the same saw within the next few months.

I think I remember that Stihl has a sale around Father's Day. Do they have other sales during the year?

Steve

/ Very happy chain saw owner #4  
TGF,
I have a Stihl Farmboss that is ten years old. I saw mostly Firewood from downed Trees. This saw works hard and so far no breakdowns. I have wore out a bunch of Chains with It. Take care of Your Saw and Yourself. They can hurt You.
poppy

/ Very happy chain saw owner #5  
My Farm Boss 029 is 15yrs old and has never failed me. Now, that said, if it breaks the next time I use it, I cannot complain. It has served me well, and I will go and get another one:cool:. One of the few trouble free low maintenance tool I own;). And I own alot of tools:thumbsup:.

/ Very happy chain saw owner #6  
After much research here and on arborsite. I decided to get a MS 290 Farmboss, so far I have used it about 20 hours. I only have a 16 inch bar on it which seems to be great.

Today was the largest job yet. Took down a dead 40 foot maple. It was great. One of the negatives people often mention about it is the gas caps. I don't understand where the ire of the caps comes from. They work great. I have had zero problems and they don't leak at all. They are quick to use too and give you that positive click to let you know they engaged fully. Anyhow its a great saw for my needs and the price was good as well.

Thanks to all the steered me towards this saw.

Congrats on the new saw! It should do you well. I have 2 Stihl's with the flippy caps. They indeed do work OK when new. It is after you use them a while they start to become a pain. Be careful to not overfill the tanks, especially the oil. I have dumped both gas and oil down my leg because of these caps on more than 1 occassion. Replaced 2 of the flippy style caps so far in the 5 years I have had them. NEVER replaced a screw style cap on a saw during the previous 23 years of operating saws.

It would be nice if Stihl would give a buyer the option of flippy caps or the screw style, because if they would, the last 4 saws that I bought might well have been Stihl's. The main reason I changed brands was because of the flippy style cap. I cannot say I am sorry as I seem to like the Dolmar's and Jonsered that I bought perhaps a bit more than the Stihl product.

/ Very happy chain saw owner #7  
I own a 290 Farm Boss with a 18in and 20in bar. I also have a Stihl 210 for limbing. It has been a great combo for me. I saw and split my own wood. I also take a tree down for a friend or neighbor every now and then also.

IMG00267.jpg

IMG00120.jpg

IMG00167.jpg

/ Very happy chain saw owner #8  
Congratulations on the new saw !

If taken care of, it should last you a long, long time.

I have old Stihl "iron" myself ....... an 031AVE (Electronic) ..... not sure exactly how old it is .... I purchased it new, sometime between 1982 and 1989 if I had to guess. I really took a liking to this particular model, after I first used it back in the late 70's/early '80's, when I was working for a friend who had a tree service company.

It's cut alot of wood over the years ...... with almost no problems whatsoever ....

I did have to have the carb rebuilt once before, back in '91 (don't leave it set with fuel in it for extended period - run it dry before long-term storage), and I've replaced the chain a few times, and the bar once.

I'm rebuilding the carb again right now (kit is around $10 .... doesn't look to be all that hard), along with replacing the spark plug, fuel filter, and fuel lines. Picked up the gasket for the cylinder/jug today when I got the other parts, and will probably pick up a set of rings and a new air filter (it's the original) and replace those at some point.

I hadn't used it for couple years and pulled it out a couple weeks ago and threw some premix in it ..... gave it a couple of pulls .... and it fired right up. :thumbsup:

/ Very happy chain saw owner #9  
I have a Stihl 041AV purchased new in 1978. Still runs like a champ - and has a deep, throaty sound at idle. What a great piece of hardware!
Mike

/ Very happy chain saw owner #10  
I have been very happy with my 290 & 250. :)