If

/ If #1  

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
You could only have one saw for the tasks You do , what would it be ?
I've got a 346 ,372 , 390 XP .and Ms 044,but I think it'd be a tough choice .
Being just a home owner type , I'll go with the 390 XP . :)

/ If #2  
The 390XP is a good choice, you just need a lot of different size bars & chains! I've never run a 390xp, but I've run a 385 & I'm told the 390 is a bit better (lower end etc.). I don't think I have anything on the property that my 372xp can't handle, so if I had to choose it would be my 372 with a lot of different size bars & chains. Well, there is that one.............are you sure you really want to be limited to 1 saw :D?

/ If #3  
MS 361, now MS 362. 20" bar

Best all around, in my opinion. Others may vary. :)

/ If #4  
MS 361, now MS 362. 20" bar

Best all around, in my opinion. Others may vary. :)

I tend to agree, although I don't have one. I do have an 044 AV, but it's a swine to limb with for more than 10 minutes.

In the Husky line, probably a 353 or 357XP. Midsize for sure.

Most of my work is done with an 023 Stihl or 242 Husky, I get out the 262XP and 044 for bigger stuff. Small saws are easier on me, and I'm not in a hurry when I use one.

Sean

/ If #5  
The 290 Farm Boss w 20in bar and .325 pitch would get my vote. It can handle large diameter trees well with a RSC chain and the weight is not too bad for limbing.

/ If #6  
JUST ONE!!!

I'd keep my big boy.

attachment.php

It also will work with a 20" bar instead of a 42".

One of my tasks include milling, can't do that small.

Attachments

• stihl42inch8x6.jpg
    stihl42inch8x6.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 475
   / If #7  
Well to me the 262 Husky and the 357 are just about identical cutters. The MS 362 is similar. For the majority of jobs from limbing , to bucking to cutting the occasional thicker trees in the 20-30" range, any of the above saws with a 18 and 24" bar is a tough combo to beat in an all around all day saw. Of course much has to do with experience and what one settles for in speed of production but my consideration is for the average 4-5 cord usage home owner.
On another note, I had occasion to usean Efco 60 cc saw recently. It was very nice and a rather speedy cutter. Had no experience with this brand before. This may be the same Italian company that made Olympic saws which were pretty good when they ran. Not sure however. John Deere saws were of this company back when they had a chain saw branded.

/ If #8  
JUST ONE!!!

I'd keep my big boy.

attachment.php

It also will work with a 20" bar instead of a 42".

One of my tasks include milling, can't do that small.

Now that's a chainsaw. If a tree has eyes, it would fall over at the sight of that bad boy. You wouldn't even need to start it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ If #9  
Not having run one, it's hard to say - but I'd probably go Stihl 361/362. My present pair does pretty well though, Stihl 028-16" and Husky 372xp-24".

/ If #10  
My MS361 or 362 would be my keeper. Love both saws maybe a slight edge to the 362 now but I could live with either one.

Steve