Stihl MS 270 Running On

/ Stihl MS 270 Running On #1  

Avondale

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 and Kioti NX6010
Can anyone offer any thoughts why my MS 270 continues to rev at full rpm after releasing throttle? It (eventually) returns to idle and will slow down if chain touched to saw log as a load. Any tips for fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks

/ Stihl MS 270 Running On #2  
Can anyone offer any thoughts why my MS 270 continues to rev at full rpm after releasing throttle? It (eventually) returns to idle and will slow down if chain touched to saw log as a load. Any tips for fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks

I have the 260 Pro and am not familiar with your saw but you either have a problem with the throttle return spring[or similar] or the chain may just be too loose,the saw chain needs to be able to be pulled around the bar but it shoulded be able to free wheel:)Dave

/ Stihl MS 270 Running On
Thank You for your thoughts. I am going to check the spring linkages but am unsure what they "should" be and how to tell the difference. I've had this saw for about 6 years and it's possible that, with time, the tension has slipped away. Maybe I'll go see a new one at the shop though that can be a big threat to my wallet. I am sure the chain tension is correct. I think that the loading of the saw by applying the high reving blade to a log is just an indication of poor adjustment with the carb or possibly governor ???

/ Stihl MS 270 Running On #4  
If the linkage is ok I'd think a bad fuel line which would make it run lean, don't be running it like that. Other things would be a air leak ( carb boot, seals, loose carb bolts) clogged filter or carb, tank vent. Steve

/ Stihl MS 270 Running On #5  
Agree on the air leaking in somewhere. I had one that the screws on the carb had vibrated loose and it did the same thing.
amaxwell

/ Stihl MS 270 Running On
Many thanks for suggestions. I will look over this weekend.