Under water chainsaw

/ Under water chainsaw #1  

2458n

Veteran Member
Purchased at an estate sale two sthil chainsaws. The previous owner had these saws stored in a basement which flooded before the auction. The auctioneer annouced this before selling the saws. I bought both saws for about the cost of a chain. One saw pulled over and has good compression. After pulling spark plug and dumping water the second does also. Have spark on both engines. Besides changing oil and gas what should I do before trying to start? I have had both saws sitting outside on hot days. Thanks in advance for your much needed help.

/ Under water chainsaw #2  
pull out plug and give the whole saw a healthy dose of wd40 or similar,that will drive out any moisture put a spoon or so of oil in the cyl. and crank it every so often and you should be good.Dry the filter or replace:)Dave

/ Under water chainsaw #3  
+1 on some WD 40 or fluid film, check of the filter and carb to make sure the water is out, change of fluiids and see if you can get them started. If they run that will dry them out and distribute the new fluids. For the price you paid if you sell them for parts you will be ahead but my bet is that both will be fine -- JMHO:eek:

/ Under water chainsaw #4  
off/topic...the title brought back some memories of a time when I was a field engineer for a marine construction outfit...we had a pneumatic chainsaw for cutting pilings etc under the surface...
I was mostly responsible for line and grade work (and inspections and "as built" drawings etc.) but I always jumped at a chance to work with the crew...I will never forget the first time they turned me loose with that saw....!

sorry for the interuption....

/ Under water chainsaw #5  
i would dump the gas and oil, get em running fast as possible. get them up to working temp, there is still moisture in the crankcase and muffler. dump the gas and oil again after warm up to make sure you get all the water out,

/ Under water chainsaw #6  
Don't those underwater river loggers on TV use them under water?

/ Under water chainsaw #8  
I accidentally dumped my Stihl 011 saw into my pond a few years back. It fell off my swim platform while I was moving branches to cut up the remainder of a tree that had blown down into the pond. I fished it out with some struggle- emptied the gas, oil, removed the air filter and poured Marvel Mystery oil into the carb, gas tank, oil tank, and spark plug hole. I pulled the recoil cord a number of times to get some MMO into the cylinder and to the rings, etc. Let it sit a couple of days and kept refilling lost fluid into the spark plug hole and carb. Eventually filled with fresh gas, bar oil and a new plug and she eventually started. Smoked like a B and then ran better than it had been running before the pond dive!
Good luck!
BTW, replace the in tank filter for the gas with a new one- available locally or from Bailey's online.

/ Under water chainsaw #9  
how the heck thats gonna work? dont you get electricuted for that?

Last edited: