Oregon sharpener

/ Oregon sharpener #11  
I'm going to throw a wild hair in the soup here and suggest something different. Buy a 3 pack of files and an angle gauge and try using it for a while. Start with an old chain and practice until the chain is gone.

You may not get great results immediately, but it'll come. Sometimes finding an oldtimer that knows how to sharpen a chain can be a help, especially if he knows what he's doing and is willing to show you.

Oregon has some good literature on how to sharpen chains, it really isn't that hard. I've sharpened them freehand all my life, with good results. A vise and a bench works the best for steady, but any flat spot to sit the saw will be ok in the field. Keep a spare sharp chain in the "possibles" pouch in case of major damage (rocks, nails, etc).

An average bench sharpening should take about 10 minutes, allowing time for greasing the nose sprocket and touching up the depth rakers even. I usually touch up a chain once or twice a day unless I hit something I shouldn't.

End of the day 3 files costs about $5, the angle gauge (if you even need it, I just use the "witness mark" on Oregon chains for the angle I need) might be another $5. Far from $200...

I think the best thing about being able to hand file a chain that will cut like the devil is after it, and they really WILL do that, is being able to give folks that squinty-eyed, half-amused look and say "Grinders?? We don't need no stinking grinders, hombre..." Other than saving $200, I mean.

Sean

I agree! A stone never touches my chains. I carry files in my "refill" pack (an old gallon plastic detergent bottle with the top cut out), file whenever needed. Usually 3 strokes of the file every 1-2 tanks of gas, depending on what I'm cutting. That way the chain is sharp & I've had a break! Works best for me! :) ~~ grnspot110

/ Oregon sharpener #12  
I use the 12v Oregon sharpener version. It goes on the golf cart out with me and the chipper. IMHO, so what if it only gets the job 90% done. Chain is relatively cheap compared to the cost of finishing a job. A dull saw is a dangerous saw in my view. I take a Sharpie out with it to mark the tooth I start with. Zip, zip, zip in each direction and I'm on to the next site. OMG! You mean I could get a tiny pieceof the grinder sand in the bar? You should see what else I get in there. I try to avoid the blood and guts, but you never know... I measure the cost of the job, and that includes my time to sit and think.

/ Oregon sharpener #13  
I think everyone should know how to hand file their chains, I did it for years. However, after you hand file a number of times when you have a big bar buried in a log and it cuts crooked you need a grinder to true it up. I am sure some of you think you can "eyeball" the difference between 30 and 35 degrees but you really can't. If you are just limbing with a little saw you will be OK, but in my experience with big bars the chain angles need to be exact and cutter lengths the same. I have an Oregon 511A and it is OK, I think the Northern Tool knock off for around $100 dollars would do the average firewood cutter fine.

Steve

/ Oregon sharpener #14  
I think everyone should know how to hand file their chains, I did it for years. However, after you hand file a number of times when you have a big bar buried in a log and it cuts crooked you need a grinder to true it up. I am sure some of you think you can "eyeball" the difference between 30 and 35 degrees but you really can't. If you are just limbing with a little saw you will be OK, but in my experience with big bars the chain angles need to be exact and cutter lengths the same. I have an Oregon 511A and it is OK, I think the Northern Tool knock off for around $100 dollars would do the average firewood cutter fine.Steve
I have to agree with you Steve. I have a very good eye but nothing comes close to the precision of a grinder. And there is always the question of the rakers. Time too is a factor. I carry a couple or 3 chains with me depending on the days plan, would rather not burn daylight filing a chain but rather spend it other ways when in the woods. I have used one of these for a few years and it has served me well although the tightening mechanism seems to be the first thing to fail on them.

/ Oregon sharpener #15  
I happen to be lazy (or smart) in my old age so a file is more effort and time consuming than I want so I grind mine and when I have 4-5 chains to sharpen it only takes me 20-30 minutes and I am back at my beer drinking and my chains are sharp uniformly that's the key. :thumbsup:

/ Oregon sharpener
Somewhere around I have some very nice Swedish files but haven't used them in years. As a kid my father would buy slab wood to burn and one of my choirs was to cut it up with a Mini Mac with the manual bar oiler. I would sharpen the chain with a file for years, you quickly learn how to do it correctly if it's your time that it's saving. That being said I'm now older. Now I would rather have something where I sqeeze a trigger.

/ Oregon sharpener #18  
I'm going to throw a wild hair in the soup here and suggest something different. Buy a 3 pack of files and an angle gauge and try using it for a while. Start with an old chain and practice until the chain is gone.

You may not get great results immediately, but it'll come. Sometimes finding an oldtimer that knows how to sharpen a chain can be a help, especially if he knows what he's doing and is willing to show you.

Oregon has some good literature on how to sharpen chains, it really isn't that hard. I've sharpened them freehand all my life, with good results. A vise and a bench works the best for steady, but any flat spot to sit the saw will be ok in the field. Keep a spare sharp chain in the "possibles" pouch in case of major damage (rocks, nails, etc).

An average bench sharpening should take about 10 minutes, allowing time for greasing the nose sprocket and touching up the depth rakers even. I usually touch up a chain once or twice a day unless I hit something I shouldn't.

... Sean

So far I've found a fresh file works fine for me, but I'm kind of a luddite about sharpening stuff. It takes a little more time and a lot more skill. It's a manual shop skill that most people have neither the time nor the interest to master, and I fully understand and appreciate that. Advantages are you can bring the file along with you into the woods and use it to touch up when you sense the cutting is getting slow or wandering. It's cheap. I like cheap. When the lights go out in the storm you can still sharpen your saw to clean up the mess. You never, ever have to worry about burning or cracking the teeth. And it's cheap! I could go on, but the scythe needs peening ...

-Jim

/ Oregon sharpener #19  
I hear what you're saying, Jim. One of our shop skill exercises when I started work was to file a rectangular steel block with a hole drilled through it. The starting size was about 1/4 inch over the finish size, so you had to keep at least three surfaces true and square, and the hole had to be located pretty precisely too.

As I recall, mine ended up being within a couple thousandth's of an inch of the finish size, or closer. Took me about a week to do it, I think. And mine wasn't the best one either. Out of a group of 10, I might have been middle of the pack.

Then there were the guys that threw out the first one, or two.. or three attempts (undersize !). It really taught you to take your time, and measure accurately.

So yeah, filing a saw takes the right kind of mentality. I guess I have it, but I still find it a lot easier to get accurate results if the saw is held in a vise. Free-hand sharpening in the field is less than ideal. The file's got to be sharp too, once they get dull you put on too much pressure to be accurate. I'm cheap enough that I have a hard time even throwing away a file after it's past it's best. I often put them aside for "other uses", whatever those might be..:)

Sean

/ Oregon sharpener #20  
Seems like a lot of discussion on hand filing. Knowing how to hand file should be mandatory for anyone running a chain saw. But being able to keep all the angles proper and the rakers at the right depth is a difficult feat to master.
As I think I've posted elsewhere here I'm into chain saw milling.

I generally need to either swap or "touch up" chains about every 10' to 15' of 20" hardwood to keep every thing running smoothly. So my process is to hand file while outside, usually with a file and a Carlton File-O-Plate (FOP). That's the $5 solution.

Then when I get them inside (generally after having been "touched up" three times) I use a Granberg File'n Joint (a fancy file guide/jig) which is the $30 solution. This is probably good enough for most firewood cutters, especially if they don't rock the chain.

Then after 3 or so "Granberg" sharpenings (which would include about 9 or 10 FOP filings) I put it on the NT grinder to "true" all the angles up. That's the $100 solution.

One of the problems if you get your angles off is that the cut starts to curve a little, not much of a problem on a 2' crosscut, but a major problem on a 10' rip. Another is if you hit a nail or a rock and damage a few teeth, it's easier to grind them to get back in shape.